Comcast plans to roll out data caps for all customers in next 5 years

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Comcast Executive VP David Cohen said in a call (transcript) with investors yesterday that he expects "usage-based billing", also known as data caps, to reach all of the company's customers within the next five years.

The company, which has around 20 million broadband customers, already applies data caps in some areas including Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama; Atlanta, Augusta, and Savannah, Georgia; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, Mississippi; Knoxville and Memphis, Tenessee; and Charleston, South Carolina.

Customers in these areas generally get 300GB of data per month, with $10 charges for each extra 50GB. The company also offers a trial period, during which customers can exceed the cap for three months out of any 12-month period without incurring extra fees.

Although Comcast had earlier said that 98 percent of its users never exceed the 300GB limit, Cohen said that the company will raise the limit to 500GB in the next 5 years so that the large majority of users won't go over it.

When asked if customers will get a large number of usage plans to choose from, Cohen said at present he doesn't expect having complex plans that force people to worry about their usage, but this could change at a later stage.

The caps shouldn't come up in the Time Warner Cable deal as they have nothing to do with the transaction, he said, adding that they may, however, come up as the FCC drafts its new net neutrality rules.

Permalink to story.

Wow Comcast, get ready to lose some money.
Doubt they will lose much since in many places they are the only real broadband provider. In my area it is Dish which is slow, AT&T which is priced near Comcast but much slower and Comcast no other options exist.

Comcast Executive VP David Cohen said in a call (transcript) with investors yesterday that he expects "usage-based billing", also known as data caps, to reach all of the company's customers within the next five years.

Oh good.... just in time for UHD streaming.

Doubt they will lose much since in many places they are the only real broadband provider. In my area it is Dish which is slow, AT&T which is priced near Comcast but much slower and Comcast no other options exist.

Dish also has bandwidth caps, 15GB per month (peak hours only) when I was silly enough to be a customer.

Even so, 300GB is a lot of data. I think 1080 HD from Netflix is about 2GB / hour, which means 300GB would be 75 2 hour movies. Even if you watch 3 episodes of your favorite series a night, that still leaves 120 GB of data for everything else you'd do online.
I really don't see how anyone could use 300GB /month, (that's 30GB per DAY). And even if someone could use that much, it's probably less than half of 1% of users.

Maybe UHD will change this, but without that, I don't see how it'd be a problem. It would take a lot of work even to find 30GB of stuff a day to download, not to mention the time it would take. A 10Mpbs download is 1.25MB/s. That's 4.5GB per hour. So you'd have to download at max speed for 6 hours and 40 minutes every day to hit the max. I sure wouldn't get close to that much.

Even so, 300GB is a lot of data. I think 1080 HD from Netflix is about 2GB / hour, which means 300GB would be 75 2 hour movies. Even if you watch 3 episodes of your favorite series a night, that still leaves 120 GB of data for everything else you'd do online.
I really don't see how anyone could use 300GB /month, (that's 30GB per DAY). And even if someone could use that much, it's probably less than half of 1% of users.

Maybe UHD will change this, but without that, I don't see how it'd be a problem. It would take a lot of work even to find 30GB of stuff a day to download, not to mention the time it would take. A 10Mpbs download is 1.25MB/s. That's 4.5GB per hour. So you'd have to download at max speed for 6 hours and 40 minutes every day to hit the max. I sure wouldn't get close to that much.
Yeah but it will just make Comcast look like an unattractive option, at least over here in NY, where there are like 5 ISPs competing.

Thought they already had a cap, as well, I had checked my account and went a few hundred GBs over. I believe I saw it was 250 or 300? Cant remember exactly. There's a new contender in my area... I just need to move to a different part of the city, and I'll be switching over. Regardless whether this new contender has data caps or not, we need to help out the competition before government really starts stepping in even more. At least I know that their going to give me better internet speeds for around the same price. I'll be happy with just that at least, for awhile anyways.

BTW, I went over the cap when Comcast stopped limiting Netflix. For awhile I was getting "Super HD." I use Netflix on the PS3 and if you click one of the analog sticks, it will show what resolution you are getting. I dont honestly know what Super HD means, or even if its a real thing, I just took Netflix's word for it.

Why did Microsoft think that going digital only was a great idea if ISPs are starting to cap?

They really should have fired the guy.

300GB is 10GB a day.

300GB is 10GB a day.
It might seem like a lot but its not really, depending on what you do I suppose. I'm with BellAliant in Canada who has no data caps and I used around 3 TB of bandwidth in one month once. That was on a 21.87 MB/s (175 Megabit) connection.

This would be perfectly acceptable if there were alternatives. From what I've gathered reading about ISPs in the news for the past several years and recently with the TW merger, it seems that there is 0 competition in an alarmingly large number of communities served by TW or Comcast.

Well if comcast buys timewarner I will have to dump them if they put caps on I will just have to tether my 4g lte since I still have my old data plan before they put in caps....ppl should have never let them do it now they have to deal with cable companies capping data.....funny the world seems to be going backwards in a way....no more concord cuz a piece of junk on the runway....no more space shuttle because of foam issue...gawd gonna get caps on data and force us back to dial ups roflmao

Wow listening to people complain about a data cap of 500gb makes me just shake my head. If your paying $60 a month and using over 500gb guess what your costing the ISP a lot more then $60 a month the route that much data to you. A Local ISP did some studies and found there average user is at 100gb a month, to me for the prices these ISP's are asking and the speeds they offer a 500gb cap is more then generous. Look at cell phone companies they can offer similar speeds but $60 gets you 4gb, that's something to complain about. A ISP stopping people from abusing there service makes sense to me. They will still offer uncapped business internet services if you need vastly more then 500gb a month that would be your plan.

Wow listening to people complain about a data cap of 500gb makes me just shake my head. If your paying $60 a month and using over 500gb guess what your costing the ISP a lot more then $60 a month the route that much data to you. A Local ISP did some studies and found there average user is at 100gb a month, to me for the prices these ISP's are asking and the speeds they offer a 500gb cap is more then generous. Look at cell phone companies they can offer similar speeds but $60 gets you 4gb, that's something to complain about. A ISP stopping people from abusing there service makes sense to me. They will still offer uncapped business internet services if you need vastly more then 500gb a month that would be your plan.

I wish my plan was 60 but try 100+ as for my cell I have unlimited data and plan to keep it that way! The thing I do not like is when they advertise unlimited data and then several years down the road they decide to change the plan you have. The fact that these companies already have a monopoly in the areas they are in pretty much sucks for consumers and how can anyone feel for the companies unless they work for them! Maybe they should upgrade the network.

Me either. 300-500Gb sounds like plenty to me.

When Google Fiber rolls around they will no doubt steal the competition. Perhaps when Comcast does roll out these caps, Google might get a mighty government loan to propagate throughout the country. Overall, none wants to have any sort of data cap.

Comcast got to big and has very poor CS (customer service) their ECS (executive customer service) is the worst. I just have them for internet that's it. Netflix for media I don't get since I left Comcast CATV. Caps just means they want you to pay extra for the internet more fees. They want to make more money.

@Trillionsin, If you went over then you must be downloading every minute of the day and night. For a short time Comcast had a 250GB cap. It's been gone for a few years now. You say you went several hundred over so that must put you @ about 600GB per month. I enjoy a 56MB/s download speed from Comcast and watch a crapload of video. I've never even come close to 250 - 300 GB and doubt I ever will. Maybe you should find something else to do except download crap from the piratebay or newsgroups.

Sign me 'Satisfied with Comcast'

p.s. Don't go blind watching all that downloaded material either....

It doesn't cost your isp any more money to deliver 10 tbs of data vs 1 kb of data. If the network bandwidth isn't used, it just goes to waste, underutilized. Comparing one crappy service(and quite different) to another doesn't help either. Cell Phone service costs more because it's more costly to provide and people are willing to pay more for it.

Me either. 300-500Gb sounds like plenty to me.
Yeah it is plenty, but I feel like limiting data will make it look like a less attractive option when faced against something like FIOS, which offers unlimited. Unless they market it sneakily, I dont see it helping them.

Please God, more competition! Comcrap will continue to be the "bullies on the block" with no competition! The END!

Back