Comodo Firewall and Outbound Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

After 4 separate versions of Sunbelt's Kerio Firewall, tons of BSOD's due to their fwdrv.sys driver, and a lot of time spent with their tech support (I learned to read Minidumps because of this product) I am ready to move on.

If it wasn't for the BSOD's I would stick with Kerio but after doing everything tech support has suggested I have had enough. The thing is, Kerio does well with protection, configuration, and ease of use -- except the every present fwdrv.sys nightmare of a driver.

So, how is Comodo with outbound protection?

My OS is XP SP2, and for protection Linksys router, NOD32 anti-vi, and Webroot's Spysweeper. Thanks.

Comodo has all the outgoing protection you could want.
There are options for checksum verification,protocol analysis,fragmented datagrams....
as well as advanced component and network monitoring.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. How difficult is it to configure Comodo? Amy quirks with XP SP2?

Compared to Zone Alarm, it`s a bit complicated.
Compared to Kerio,it`s about the same,I`d say.

You`ll need to spend some time exploring,to find
the best configuration for your particular needs.

No problems with XP that I`ve heard.

re: config of Comodo. It's acutally quite easy -- put it into LEARN mode
and it will prompt you every time a new application makes a request.
You allow or deny and tell it to remember the decision.

Comodo has three primary tests that you can control:
  1. access to the net, ie ip-address,port numbers, protocols and in/out bound
  2. applications allowed to access the net
  3. component access; eg DLLs

The applications can be found by LEARNING and/or scanning for them -- I like the LEARNING mode.

The component is messy and effective, but not required -- I suggest you disable this feature.

The network has some default rules that work, but perhaps you have special needs
like allowing print/file sharing but only on your internal LAN and not from the WAN!
This is easy to do but I'll defer until you're ready to implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back