Compaq 2100Z Laptop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusthazard

Howdy! I have a question. Now, I picked this laptop up for a pretty good price and went on Crucial.com and selected the 2100 Series and it gave me the memory my laptop will take (200 pin PC2100 512MB is what I'm looking at for 115.99$) Now, I looked up the 200 pin PC2700 and that's only 117.99...)

Now, I'm new to notebook computers and wanted to know if the faster memory will safely speed down and work properly like it would (should, heh.) in a desktop.

Also, I think Crucial guarentees it if you buy under the "Compaq 2100 series" section because... well... that my laptop! =D

Well, thanks.

DH

First, Crucial is top notch, can't beat it IMO. They have always been really good to me, in both quality product, and friendly speedy service.

Secondly, about your RAM choice, if both are listed under the section for your model laptop, then get the one you want, if you are replacing your old RAM, you should be fine, if not, Crucial WILL make it good, they are very good about making the customer happy.
If however, you are adding another stick, make sure that Crucial is what you already have, if not, stop. You will either want to replace all with Crucial, or buy the updrade stick from the same manufacturer as the existing stick. Laptops are very picky about RAM, even more so than desktop systems. Mixing brands of RAM=very ungood.

Thanks so much for your response!

It's decided then, I will wait to see what brand of RAM it has when it gets here and either get two more sticks or just replace both.

Thanks!

Oh! One more question! You mention mixing brands in notebooks isn't good.

I was just wondering what are some of the things that can happen if you do this and if it's common in newer laptops.

Thanks!

Nothing "damaging" will happen to your laptop if you mix brands, you just generally have more problems with system stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back