Compaq Presario preloaded software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my Compaq Presario and i knew it was going to be full of preloaded software i didnt want i just dont know what i can or can not get rid of. What i have is a Compaq Presario Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 with Windows Vista OS. Right now i have 60 processes running and its eating up 65% of my system memory. I would appreciate any help on what programs i can remove and any other tweaks i can easily perform. Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to techspot :)

I know that hp (also compaq) is famous of its preloaded software, hence many processes will be made and it'll slow down your system for sure.
To be able to reduce processes at startup, start > run > type : msconfig
in the startup bar, you can untick some component that you do not want, for example windows msgr, winamp updater, hp updater and so on.

However please use this function wisely and do not turn off some process which you'll use it, for example touchpad, and Fn key of your keyboard.

To find out some process' use, type the name in windows search.

Your best bet for the moment is to get Windows XP SP2 and dump that Vista.
Vista will be no good until at least SP1 (later this year) or even SP2 has come out. I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10-foot barge pole right now.

Vista has add remove programs like XP but to get to in you need to type msconfig in the run box then OK ,on the tools tab scroll down and select Programs and click the Launch button most of the Compaq add on`s should be available for uninstall from there

Cheers HSC

You can get rid of most of it by just uninstalling everything but the bare essential programs. First thing I did when I got my Compaq is a clean reformat, though, thats a little more difficult with Vista.

I'd say keep Vista though - it isn't so bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back