Component video challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanAwfulitch

I'm not entirely certain whether or not any of you have been asked the following question, but here it is.

Is it possible to cheaply turn component video into a VGA or DVI signal with decent quality and resolution?

For those of you who want more details, here is the problem at hand. As you know, a video-game console will only give a component video output. In order to display this signal, you would need a component video input. Such inputs already exist and have existed for quite some time on a normal television. But what about an LCD computer screen?

Unless you were smart and paid for an LCD television, you're stuck with DVI/HDMI or VGA as your inputs. I am in the unfortunate aforementioned position, but nevertheless, I would like to beat my head against this brick wall to see if I can put a hole in it. Or perhaps knock it down.

There are converters out there that will indeed change these signals to the right ones for use with an LCD monitor. The drawback of course is that these are ungodly expensive. (Between $70 and $299 to be exact. I'd be better off just buying a larger LCD tv screen for that money). I'm also a college student, and therefore quite poor.

So my question to you, fellow technology freaks, is this: can you help me to figure out a way to make this work for under $50? Or is such a task better left alone, or left to the professionals that do it for hundreds of monies?

For me, the LCD monitor in question is a 22 inch Samsung which uses a DVI or VGA input.

cheap (won't fall apart immediately)

Is it possible to cheaply turn component video into a VGA or DVI signal with decent quality and resolution?
For me, the LCD monitor in question is a 22 inch Samsung which uses a DVI or VGA input.
So I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for I understand you have a LCD monitor with a DVI or VGA input and then;
a) you speak of converting "video into" is this an analogue tape player?
b) what are you converting or planning to stream from (device) computer, Xbox
c) are you looking for a converter or a cable and converter eg.HDMI/F to DVI 24+5/M Adapter or Gold Plated 1080i HDMI Male to DVI Male Connection Cable (1.8M-Length) or DVI 24+1M to HDMI Female Gold Plated Adapter? (my calculation from $HK to $AUS 14.64 delivered! :slurp: )
Google -> Results 1 - 10 of about 753 for Gold Plated 1080i HDMI Male to DVI Male Connection Cable (1.8M-Length). (0.44 seconds) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back