Computer can't boot into windows or boot from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase123

Hello all,

I recently got a new motherboard and new PSU. I've just put all the parts in - CPU, hard drive, optical drive ram, and so on...

Problem.

Plugged everything in and then powered up - it powers up fine - however it says Please reboot and select proper boot device". So I changed the jumper on the optical drive to slave and HDD to master. Still the same problem. I went into bios and select to boot from cd - rebooted computer and then it said "Checking your computers hardware" - after that it just goes back to a black screen. I've tried two IDE cables and still the same.

Any one got any ideas/suggestions.

Regards Jason :)

Hi Jase. When building a computer we don't usually place a hard drive and optical drive on the same ribbon cable because the optical drive will tend to slow the hard drive down.

I would if I could return the IDE ATA/ATAPI hard drive and purchase a SATA hard drive. I'm assuming that your motherboard supports SATA. That way there will be no conflict between the two pieces.

If you have two ATA headers on the motherboard I'd set both devices as master and put each on its own header with its own cable.

Most of the time there is a place in the BIOS where you can tell the motherboard which controller device (SATA or IDE ATA/ATAPI) will be the boot device. You may have left the first boot device at SATA and will need to change it to IDE ATA/ATAPI if you decide to not exchange you current hard drive.

Hi mate - I can't return it has the hard drive isn't new - I set the first boot device to cd - but it still says "Reboot and select proper boot device". I know it works - because it has worked before - but I just received a replacement motherboard and now it's not working.

I'm puzzled on this one.

The only thing I can think of would be to go into the BIOS and disable all the drive ports that aren't already populated with a drive. That way the computer would have to look at your optical and IDE hard drive for a boot sector. Your hard drive should be the master and the optical drive should be the slave. Try booting your computer without the hard drive installed and see what happpens.

The BIOS is fried.
I had the same problem on a pc that had a backup BIOS chip and just on a guess I used it to replace the primary BIOS and it worked fine. Srry about your luck...

The bios isn't fried.

Right tried today - it boots from the CD - but my Hard drive isn't being recognized. However, my optical drive is.

Any more ideas?

Anyone?

If I can't get this too work I'm going have to go out and get a sata hard drive - but I know it works.... It's just not working on this replacement motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back