Computer crashes while trying to install games or burn big files.....

backfire420

Hey I've recently put a computer together and I'm having problems with it.... when I try and load the new starcraft game my computer just shuts down, dosnt reboot just plain shuts down, same with when I try and burn movies.....I tried uping the memory and it still does it, not sure if its the power source doing it, but here's a dxdiag maybe someone out there can help me out.

Thanks

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    37.4 KB · Views: 5
What are the specifications of your system? including PSU details.

Have you taken time to look at Event Viewer Logs to see whether some information regarding these specific events are being recorded. You can find event viewer, in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

when i try and load the new starcraft game my computer just shuts down, dosnt reboot just plain shuts down,

Does it starts in normal way when you press the power button again?

Arc read my mind, when you list your PSU get the 12v Rail (s) amp ratings and age of the unit. Its a premature guess, but 'shutting down when doing something intense (like gaming) can be a sign of power supply problems, most notably not enough power.

What are the specifications of your system? including PSU details.

Have you taken time to look at Event Viewer Logs to see whether some information regarding these specific events are being recorded. You can find event viewer, in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

Does it starts in normal way when you press the power button again?

Thx for the quick replays, I really appreciate all the help.
Ok I looked at my event viewer logs and I couldnt identify the problem, there's a whole list of warnings and other items but im not sure if that has anything to do with the issue. I included the lists incase u would like to see them. And yes the computer starts up just like normal as if nothing had happened.

[12v Rail (s) amp ratings and age of the unit]

The unit is an OCZ Game Extreme 700 watt PS im not sure how to check for the 12v Rail amp ratings, could u point me in the right direction to look for it? and the unit is only 1 year old.

Attachments

• application.txt
    70.2 KB · Views: 2
  • system.txt
    123.3 KB · Views: 2
Here is the specs of your PSU.

This PSU can deliver 18Amps on each of the four 12V rails. Right now I'd suspect graphic card or PSU to start with. You can stress test your graphic card with OCCT. Kindly provides with complete specifications of your system along with which OS you are running upto which SP (if applicable).

ok i downloaded the OCCT and as soon as i loaded it, a pop up appeared saying that my direct x wasnt up to date. I have direct x 9 whats the newest version out there? My OS is windows XP and Service pack 3 is what im running.

You can go to Windows Update and find the latest version of DirectX available for your system or you can go to the Windows Download Center and download it manually. I don't have Starcraft 2 myself yet but many games will automatically install DirectX when installing the game.

One thing I noticed from your dxdiag is your graphics driver is one year old. You should install a newer version for this new game.

Alright I've noticed couple of anomalies in your system logs:

1. FTDisk Error:
It is Windows fault tolerance driver, which provides the mechanisms for redundant data storage, volume management, and dynamic data recovery. FtDisk works between the physical disk drivers and the file system drivers, and works with all the supported files systems (FAT, HPFS, and NTFS). NTFS is the only file system with built-in data recovery mechanisms.

If FtDisk finds a bad sector on a fault tolerant volume, and the physical disk supports spare sectors, and has spare sectors available, FtDisk replaces the sector. This is true for all tree supported file systems (FAT, HPFS, and NTFS); the file system remains unaware of this mechanism.

Error related to NTFS on your HDD started around 17/7 according to that log, and are regularly appearing ever since.

Please go to your hard drive manufacturer's site, and download diagnostic tool for your HDD model, and check your HDD with it thoroughly.

2. TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts. This isn't causing any stability issue, it is just telling that you are trying open more concurrent sessions than allowed by default.

or XP the latest version is DX 9.c you an go here to get the lastest update up tp 9c

Thank you im installing it now.

One thing I noticed from your dxdiag is your graphics driver is one year old. You should install a newer version for this new game.

According to the recommened (not minimum) requirements for the game it say's: 512 mb nvidia geforce 8800 gtx. Now mines a 1gig NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT so it should be just fine and be able to play the game without any problems. I really dont want to spend another $300 on a graphics card if i can get away with it.
If i did decide to do it tho, what would u suggest?

Please go to your hard drive manufacturer's site, and download diagnostic tool for your HDD model, and check your HDD with it thoroughly.

Ok ill look for it, im not entirely sure which manufacturer it is but ill take the HD out and see.

thx for helping me with this guys i really, really appreciate it.

Ok I just tried the OCCT power supply test and about 5 minutes into it the computer shut down exactly like it does when im trying to install the game and burn movies. So its gotta be the power source then right?

I just dont understand how a 700 watt PS dosnt have enough power to run what i have.......any thoughts?

To ensure it is a PSU issue, can you get another PSU temporarily (say on loan from a friend)?

I will still ask you to check your HDD, because there is very good chance it is too have some issues (which may not be critical atm, but it can become just that some time in future).

To ensure it is a PSU issue, can you get another PSU temporarily (say on loan from a friend)?

I will still ask you to check your HDD, because there is very good chance it is too have some issues (which may not be critical atm, but it can become just that some time in future).

Can't borrow any from a friend nobody has anything above 400 watts........so ill have to buy a new one, any idea about what i should get next? if 700 is not enough should i opt for an 1000 watt PS?

And ill check the HDD asap.

It is not about getting a PSU with more output, it has to do with regard to power being delivered as it is required. For now I would suggest to hold on, and not make any purchasing decision in this regard.

Kindly do keep us update on your progress about HDD dianostics. Regards

Back