Computer Doesn't Acqnowledge Printer is Connected to USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgan9311

please help...

I just got a new Dell E310 with WinXP. Lightening struck during a thunderstorm and power went out and flipped a few breakers. Motherboard and power supply were fried and have both been replaced. Now...the computer will not recognized that there is a printer connected to the computer. I followed the troubling shooting directions in the printers manual, and it recommended to uninstall and then reinstall printer software, so I did---only this time, I can't reinstall the software because the computer doesn't recognize that the printer is connected to the computer via the USB port or any USB port. I have gone through 3 USB cables...none are recognized....printer can manually fax and copy paper without being connected, and it works fine. Printer service tech says printer is working properly and that it is the USB drive. I have no idea how to fix this problem! Someone please help!!

Mgan9311

One possibility -

A.Remove all printer software/drivers

B.Uninstall/reinstall USB controllers

1.Device Manager
2.Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
3.Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
4.Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

C.Reinstall printer drivers/software.Plug in the printer.

I already removed all printer software/drivers. If I uninstall the USB controllers...will it give me an option to reinstall the controllers, or do I need a disc or something?

when you restart the pc, windows will autodetect its drivers for the USB controllers. So that printer still works when pluged into other pcs right?

That's another thing...I don't have any way to test the printer with another PC. The tech on the phone had me go through the whole process to test the printer...its a Lexmark 4070 All-In-One (printer, copier, scanner, and fax). It still manually faxes without the pc and copies. Everything seems to be working the same as it did, just that the computer can't tell anything is plugged in. I have 6 to 8 USB ports, not a single one of them works with the printer. But the mouse and keyboards still work in any port. I don't understand it. At the moment, I don't have anything else to plug to the computer to see if it is recognized, ie. digital camera, or whatever. The printer tech swears its not the printer and that its the USB drives or cables. And I know its obviously not the cables, since I have gone through 3 different ones.

Well thats the thing.. unless you have 100% certainty that the USB port itself on the printer is not broken then the tech can swear all he like. I know because (stupidity of my tinkering) i have screwed up my USB port on my printer, and neither any of my pcs runing different versions of windows can detect it. Luckly i still have the oldscool parrelel port...

you can try it on any pc or laptop.. or even download a Linux live cd for your pc and see if it picks it up (to eliminate MS's driver being the stumbling block)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back