Computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran

i built my computer myself and since i have had it, it has had problems with freezing. when i do something like transfer all my music from my laptop to my desktop or do anything that requires more then usual processing the computer freezes. i don't get any error reports. i always have to just turn my computer off at the switch and start it back up. the last time i turned my computer back on it said "windows has recovered from a critical error" . what do i need to do to sort out the freezing problem.

may be that your cpu overheats and stops, though there may be other causes as well. load default settings in bios to rule out the overheating problem, and run sandra sisoft to check what you can do to optimize your performance

i have loaded default settings in bios and that does seem to have helped but it does still slightly freeze sometimes how do i use sisoft to optimize my computer

i have had the same problem, but the only soultion we could find was getting a new computer. Also defragmenting might help

after you have installed and opened sandra sisoft one the options should be to run an optimization wizard. it will run some tests and at the end a report will appear. check for any errors that it shows and how to fix it next to the error. this is not overclocking, just optimizing, so it will give a slight performance boost but dont expect anything dramatic

Some frequent reasons we see: Firefox error versions 10 & 11; defective or poor quality power supply; defective video graphics card or other pci card; defective cpu, cpu heat sink, lack of thermal paste, or bad connection between heat sink, cpu fan, and cpu; Value Ram memory or other low end or low priced memory instead of first tier memory

okay i have run sandra and its says under motherboard disabled host controllers are present and large memory sizes should be made of registered/buffered memory.

under processor it says disabled host controllers present , Vcore higher than rated maximum.

for buses and devices it says PCI latency too high, device could hog the bus for too long.

which one of these is causing my computer to freeze and what do i need to do to fix it

Hard to say: You must have tweaked a number of things.
If you have large memory modules that are not ECC memory, that could be the problem.
Do you know what host controllers are disabled?
Vcore higher than rated maximum means a lot. You may find it best to take everything back to stock settings and start over.
PCI Latency too high is usually not a big issue, but when you have that many things on the Sandra list, you need to know what they mean
Do you have any flags in your Device Manager list... red or yellow?
If it were my machine, I would start over. Put all settings back to "normal" or as shipped... to see if it runs ok.
We would also check the power supply carefully. If you have a power supply not up to the task, for the settings you have, that could be a cause. What are the power settings in Watts and Amps? What is the brand and model.

the power supply is icute model ATX-350W/P4
i have already reset the bios back to default settings and havent changed anything else that i know of . how do i check what host controllers are disabled nothing is showing up on device manager. my memory is just a standard 1 GB module

componets are:

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe SKT939 RD580 Crossfire ATX
Western Digital WD3200JB 320GB Hard Drive 7200RPM 8MB Cache - OEM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0Ghz) Dual Core Socket 939
CRUCIAL 1GB DDR 400MHz/PC3200 Memory UNBUFFERED NON-ECC CL3 2.6V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back