Computer is crashing once more (minidumps attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

keving

Can someone please help me narrow down the reason why my computer keeps crashing? I am at wits end trying to figure this thing out. I have attached some minidumps to assist in the troubleshooting. Here is a little history on the issue. I re-installed windows xp but did not load anything but SP1 and the motherboard drivers to see if it might have been a driver issue

My computer kept crashing while just sitting at idle so I posted here and received plenty of help trying to diagnose the issue. The sad thing was my pc kept crashing. I have tested the memory using memtest, the hard drives using hitachi's drive tester and even reset the page file and re-installed windows but the issue only seemed to be fixed temporarily at best.

I replaced the memory, hard drives, upgraded the all drivers, removed/reseated various pci cards but still cannot get the crashing to stop. When I reduce the bus speed on my motherboard from 166Mhz to 133Mhz the random crashing while idling stops, however when I try to play any type of video file the pc crashes right on schedule. I also added my hard drives to a spare raid controller I had to see if maybe it was a controller card issue on the motherboard. I suppose the only thing left that could be causing an issue could be either the motherboard or the cpu but before I replaced those I wanted to get once last opinion on any other reason why it might be crashing.

Windows XP SP1 (did not feel like installing SP2 after re-installing windows since it was still crashing)
Amd 2500+ Barton 333 Mhz Bus
Shuttle AN35N Ultra-400 Motherboard
1 – 256MB Ram 333Mhz FSB (Kingston)
1 – 256MB Ram 333Mhz FSB (Patriot)
Nvidia FX5200 Video Card 128MB Ram
1 – Hitachi 80GB 7200rpm Drive (Raid 0, Adaptec ATA 1200A Controller)
1 – Hitachi 90GB 7200 rpm Drive (Raid 0, Adaptec ATA 1200A Controller)
8X DVD/RW
Hauppauge PVR-150 Video Capture Card
Ultra-V Series 400 Watt Power Supply

Thanks,

Kevin

All your minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe. Windows bootup kernel file. They all reference Windows media player as the owning process. They all have a bugcheck of 12.

0x00000012: TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN

By its very nature, this error means that the cause of the identified problem is unknown. Especially try to track it down by noting the history of the problem, when it appeared, and what changes were made to the system since the problem first appeared, as well as noting what activity you are attempting at the time the error message appears.

I notice you are running 2 different makes of ram. it`s possible that this might be the cause.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram.

Regards Howard :)

The same thing happens when using either stick of ram by itself. :confused:

Do you think replacing the cpu and the motherboard or both may resolve? I've been wanting a dual-core setup for a while now and this may just be my excuse. lol

Thanks,

Kevin

I don`t think changing the mobo or cpu at this stage is sensible.

You might just end up spending money needlessly.

Go HERE and follow the instructions. It might help.

Don`t forget to post any fresh minidumps you get. They might give us some further clues as to whats wrong.

Ok, I went down to one stick of ram and tested from different slots. I ran memtest and tested the hard drives some more and still no errors. I have some fresh minidumps attached while running 1 stick of ram to see if there is any difference.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe and has a bugcheck of 12.

3 minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe and have a bugcheck of 7F.

All your minidumps reference wmplayer.exe as the owning process.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Well, i picked up a Sempron 3100+ and motherboard for $79.99 and have been running for 2 days now without any crashes, especially when running video.

Once again.... Thanks for all the help Howard...

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back