Computer not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a MSI 745 Ultra. AMD XP 1500. (I know, I suck! :giddy: )

The computer was working 100% fine to my knowledge before it died, now what it does is it seems to re-boot every 3seconds. that is right, as soon as you power it on, you can hear it re-booting before anything is displayed.

I have unplugged everything, I have checked everything. When I reset the bios jumper the computer started, but said that the CMOS settings are not right, blah blah blah, if I continue WinXP Pro (SP2) freezes, when I try safe mode it crashes on MUP.sys.

Back to the BIOS. Like i said, all settings are re-set, if I enter the BIOS to try to change anything, on re-boot it loops again. But once I reset the BIOS, all ok untill I enter the screen again.

I have flashed to the latest, all ok there, but no difference.

I need some advise.. any advise really :) Buyng a whole new PC is not an option, but I might get a second hand MB for the 1500 if I can find one.

Pls let me know what you are thinking.

Thanx in advance.

- James

here is a pasted copy to try.
for some unknown reason my link insert isn't working
Fastco
TechSpot Booster Join Date: Jun 2006

Hi,

Boot the computer and press F8 until you get into the log-in options screen. First attempt to retore the system to an earlier date. If that doesn't work, Scroll down to Command Prompt and hit enter. Type in chkdsk /r and let it check the disk for errors. If that doesn't fix it you can either boot off of the XP cd and get into the recovery console and use the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands to repair the master boot record, if that is the problem, or download a boot cd like BartPE which has disk check tools on it. If none of that works it could be a hardware issue like bad memory of a device driver. Last resort might be to reinstall Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back