Computer Not Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay then, let's get this party started.

About 5 months ago, my computer (family computer) wouldn't turn on.
[ It's an eMachines t2896 ]
This happened after I spent a bit of time cleaning up around the computer area. Dusting it off, moving cables and such. I finished cleaning it up, and turned on the computer. The computer was running fine, no issues. I then nudged it with my foot to straighten it out (on carpet) and the monitor went black. The tower still had the blue light on showing it was receiving power and was turned on, and it suddenly started to get loud (the fan) as if it was processing something big. Nothing was happening except for this, and my only choice was to pull the plug. I pulled the plug, waited a bit, plugged it in and hit the button. Nothing. Checked wires, etc, hit the button again, nothing.
So a couple days later, my mom had taken it to her job where the computer technician would take a look at it. He assumed it was the power supply. So, he went out and replaced the power supply in the back of the computer with a new one, and still nothing.

Now, I am pretty good with computers (software-wise) but I know very little about the actual hardware inside that makes up a computer. I know about the mother board, RAM, harddrive, video/sound cards; stuff like that, but I'm not very savvy about how they work - what they plug into and such.

Now that I look back on it, I think it had to do with the carpet, static electricity. Could that have done something possibly?

(I've moved on, got a new computer, but now that I have spare time, I would like to try this one up and running again.)

Oh, one more thing, when the tower is plugged in, a green light only visible when the case is opened inside the computer lights up on the motherboard.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a blown fuse or a lose connection somewhere. Could also be a problem with the graphics card.

Best to take it to the local comp store and have a tech run some hardware tests on it.

-- Andy

Ralph23 said:
Okay then, let's get this party started.

About 5 months ago, my computer (family computer) wouldn't turn on.
...Dusting it off, moving cables and such. ... I then nudged it with my foot .

Refer to your manual for precautions and help in the following proceedure

Power out

Remove the cover

Diconnect all the data and power cables (M/b ; Hdd; Cd; Fan) Not the small coloured cables on the M/b (pwr, reset) leave those

Pull out the ram card(s)

Remove any plugged in PCI cards (including Video Cards if you have a 3D card mounted)

Blow out any dust (just air, not actually dusting)

Re-mount the ram

Re-connect the fan

Re-Mount any PCI card (you can leave this step, for testing without)

Re-connect all power and data cables (To M/b and Cd/DVD ; Floppy etc)

Plug the power back in (securely)

Also check the keyboard / mouse is connected securely

Turn on the computer

Did it work ?

Okay, I'll try that (like I said, new to the whole 'guts' of a computer scene).
Seems odd that dust would be causing the problem on the count that it started as I moved the computer a bit while it was on.
I'll post back once I do this.

Nope...nothing. Removed the RAM, fan, unplugged cables, blew out dust, re-connected everything, plugged in the cord (green light on the motherboard went on) but when I pressed the button, nothing happened...

Anymore ideas?

Didnt try to clear BIOS>?From my last few year technician experience, u can try to pull out the entire m'baord, isolated with m'board, attach only hard disk and power supply, see whether it can boot or not.
If it doesn't, most probably ur m'board spoiled

Oh, that sounds a bit technical, I’ll do that, but only as a last resort (taking the m/b out). Have any other ideas? How do I clear the BIO’s?

computer manual again

Usually there's a red jumper on your motherboard that you must connect or dis-connect over two pins. Plus also a CMOS button battery to pull out.

kimsland said:
computer manual again
Usually there's a red jumper on your motherboard that you must connect or dis-connect over two pins. Plus also a CMOS button battery to pull out.
Hey.
Like I said, not to savvy about the inside of a computer, and when we got this computer I was young and we've moved twice, so the manual, if we kept it, is long gone. I woukld look to that, but yeah.

Okay, this jumper... besides being red, what would it look like and how do I connect/disconnect to a pin? (Also, what is a "pin").

I would look around a bit to solve these answers on my own, but I'm at school at the moment, and have a lot of work to catch up on. When I get home tonight, if you/someone else hasn't answered, I'll do my best to look it up on Google, but I feel much more safe hearing it from one of you guys.

Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: Is that battery that silver, coin-shaped thing I saw last night? I just remove that for a while and place it back in to reset the BIOs?

Okay, removed the small coin-like battery, put it back, nothing. I'm willing to remove the motherboard with w/e oher essential parts I need to boot the motherboard while it's isolated.

Thing is. I have not one idea on where to start. Tips/help?
That is unless you guys have another idea?
Thanks.

Many times when an Emachines power supply breaks it takes the motherboard with it, so you'll probably have to replace the motherboard too.

Ralph23 said:
Okay, this jumper... besides being red, what would it look like and how do I connect/disconnect to a pin? (Also, what is a "pin").
This is what a CMOS jumper would look like. The yellow part is the jumper....your jumper might be a different color, red, black...whatever. anyway to clear it, remove the jumper from from the 2 pins it is on and place it over the lone pin or on the lone pin and the one adjacent to it, varies depending on your motherboard. leave it there for about 1 minute or so and put it back to where it originally was. That is clearing the CMOS.

CMOSjumper.jpg

Well, I don't see any of those. I removed the battery however, left it out for an hour, and put it back in, nnothing. Doesn't that do the same thing?

Let me just say again what happened. I moved the computer a bit while it was on on the carpet, then it froze up, the monitor display went off, and it started to get loud like it was processing something big, so I pulled the plug, and that was it, won't go on anymore.

Maybe that could help you guys help me.

Any more ideas? /or/ Should I try to run it, just the m/b and the essentials (which essentials?) and also how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help.

From Here:
http://www.e4me.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T2896

User Guide:
http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/DesktopPC_UserGuide_en.pdf

Specs:
CPU:
Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325
(2.53GHz, 533MHz System Bus, 256KB L2 cache)
Operating System:
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Monitor:
eView™ 17F3 Monitor
(16" Viewable, 0.27mm dot pitch)
Chipset:
Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory:
512MB DDR
Hard Drive:
60GB HDD
Optical Drive:
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Media Reader:
8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Micro Drive,
Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)
Video:
Intel® Extreme Graphics integrated
Sound:
AC '97 audio
Network:
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem:
56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals:
Standard keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Dimensions:
7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
Weight: 22.5 lbs (PC only, no packaging)

Thanks for that, I looked through it, but eh... nothing that would really help. This is something specific that you guys can help me with. Thanks though, might help later...

Any more ideas?
/or/
Should I try to run it, just the m/b and the essentials (which essentials?) and also how would I go about doing that?

Ralph23 said:
Should I try to run it, just the m/b and the essentials (which essentials?) and also how would I go about doing that?

The issue is, with lack of experience, and not aware of all safety precautions, you can do more damage to your system.

Therefore it is not wise for us to say, you see that big square thing just remove that. And in the process you break it. (as this is easy to do without experience)

I don't think it is a good idea to advise you in such intricies
Better to have a qualified technician do it for you

Yes you could just do it at your risk

Forget the bench test - that means everything out

Just make sure all the plugs and connectors are secure
(I feel I'm being hiprocritical - but everyone must start somewhere)

This is the first time really looking inside a computer, but yeah, everything seems like it's intact, but why would anything not be secure? All I did was gently move the computer over a bit and it just went out. It was all fine before then.

But yeah, from what I see, everything is in good.
What else?
Thanks.

I know these things are strange

Anyway, I'd go as far to say disconnect then reconnect all these data and power connectors (obviosly power out and be aware of static discharge)

You should also notice the Ram cards plugged into th M/B
You should also disconnect then reconnect these too.
But this is sensitive area

Sure, I'll reconnect everything I can, but what does that green light on the motherboard mean when the tower is plugged in? Doesn't that necessarily mean the motherboard is okay and receiving power? (probably not, lol).
I'll post with what happens in a few minutes.

It's deeper than I thought
I cannot suggest any further steps (way too lengthy)
This may be a faulty Motherboard (so we are chasing our tail here)

I must step out for a while (about 7Hrs !)
Goodluck with any further response
I tried I hope that's OK at least

Oh yeah, I appreciate all your help so far.

That green light that lights up on the motherboard when it's plugged in, does that mean:
1- The motherboard is okay? (It is displaying a light aka working)
2 - The m/b is receiving power, so the PS is connected and working.

But yeah, thanks for your help.
Anyway, anyone else have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back