Computer passes artificial intelligence test for the first time ever

Shawn Knight

Staff member

computer turing test

The field of artificial intelligence reached an important landmark over the weekend as the Turing Test was passed for the first time ever.

The test, created in 1950 by renowned computer science pioneer and World War II code cracker Alan Turing, gauges a machine’s ability to mimic the conversational ability of a human. Specifically, an interrogator (judge) holds a text-based conversation with a machine and a human. It’s the job of the interrogator to determine which is which.

Testing over the weekend was conducted at the Royal Society in London and involved 150 conversations between 30 judges, five chat bots and 25 humans. It was the biggest Turing Test ever conducted.

To be successful, the machine must convince at least 30 percent of the judges that it is a human. There is not a specific set of questions that must be asked or topics that must be adhered to – it’s pretty much wide open to whatever the interrogator wants to ask.

The winner was a program designed to simulate a 13-year-old boy from the Ukraine named Eugene Goostman. It managed to convince 33 percent of the judges it was real.

The test doesn’t measure the ability to give the correct answers to questions but rather how they resemble typical human answers. The winning program’s creators chose the personality of a 13-year-old because they are not too old to know everything and not too young to know nothing. Or in other words, it’s perfectly suited for the Turing Test.

Permalink to story.

For the record, it's just "Ukraine" now. The "the" was dropped following the collapse of the Soviet Union and is actually considered disrespectful by some Ukrainians.

For the record, it's just "Ukraine" now. The "the" was dropped following the collapse of the Soviet Union and is actually considered disrespectful by some Ukrainians.

"The" has no meaning, neither in Russian no in Ukrainian languages, it is one particle that has no translation and therefore simply omitted. So what disrespect are you talking about? I never heard of anything like that.

"The" has no meaning, neither in Russian no in Ukrainian languages, it is one particle that has no translation and therefore simply omitted. So what disrespect are you talking about? I never heard of anything like that.

I heard it from a Ukrainian professor at my university who lectured my entire class on Soviet repression.

Did you consider Googling it dude? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ukraine+vs+the+Ukraine

I heard it from a Ukrainian professor at my university who lectured my entire class on Soviet repression.

Did you consider Googling it dude? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ukraine+vs+the+Ukraine

I used your Google search and pulled this from a Business Insider article on "Ukraine" vs. "The Ukraine":

It may seem like a minor detail, but many people are angered by the addition of "the" to Ukraine, arguing that it is being used to help sideline Ukrainian statehood.

Umm, isn't Russia kind of sidelining Ukrainian statehood? I think the Ukraine has more to worry about than the definite article that precedes its name.

I used your Google search and pulled this from a Business Insider article on "Ukraine" vs. "The Ukraine":

Umm, isn't Russia kind of sidelining Ukrainian statehood? I think the Ukraine has more to worry about than the definite article that precedes its name.

Don't be coy, you're fully aware of the conflict in that part of the world, but that doesn't make my initial assertion that it's considered rude any less valid.

Russians call Ukraine Hohlyandiya, which is as good name as any, except Ukrainians (Hohly) do not like it, but who cares...
82861-1376306447.jpeg

Russians call Ukraine Hohlyandiya, which is as good name as any, except Ukrainians (Hohly) do not like it, but who cares...
Somewhat oddly, that name just looks like nobody in Russia can spell, "holy land". Perhaps their own Cyrillic alphabet confuses them. It sure confuses me.

30% doesn't get you a pass in any test that I have ever heard of.

Further, a Ukraine bot talking to English speaking testers is an *****ically flawed test.

What a crock, seriously.

Unless I'm mistaken, due to the 'Ukraine' obsession, no one seems to have mentioned 'Skynet!'

I don't suppose we can all get on topic? I would say, "Back on topic," but it never got there to begin with. Thank you kindly.

I don't suppose we can all get on topic? I would say, "Back on topic," but it never got there to begin with. Thank you kindly.
OK then. "Artificial intelligence", isn't that what it takes to get into your girlfriends pants?

Or would that be, "the artifice of intelligence".:p

Hey wait a minute, due to trickle down technology, in another few years every computer will be able to seduce human females. As if there wasn't enough competition already....:D How's the average nerd ever going to get lucky.

Last edited:
Back