Computer powers on but doesnt do anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone

first off sorry if this is the wrong board but im desperate :(

Today i wanted to see what my computer would run like with 1GB of Ram. Now i knew that my other computer used the same type of Ram so i took the 2 256mb of ram from that computer and placed them into my new one.

It was all really good so i took them back out and placed them back into the machine i took them from. Now heres the bad part. The computer turns on with Cd drive lights and such lighting up however the monitor is blank and nothing is happening :( I have made absolutel 100% sure the Ram is in correctly and it is. Everything is plugged in. Yet it wont Run. Im getting really worried and upset. So bassically i took the Ram from the system 30minutes later i put them back and now its completely stuffed lol

Any help would be awsum thanks alot

david

reseat the ram (it should 'click') and all cables/devices/cards you may have touched/moved while doing the ram.

reset teh cmos (just search this forum or your mobo manual on how to) if still no good.

Thanks for the reply, I tried to reset the CMOS by taking out the little round battery for 30minutes but still nothing....any other ideas?

was there power to the board?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The ATX motherboard specification maintains +5VSB power to the motherboard
unlike PC/XT, AT, Baby AT and LPX form factors that employed a manual switch to turn on the power to the motherboard, the ATX form factor employs a "soft power" scheme
allowing software control of power, allowing the OS or other ap to turn the computer off, it also allows wake on LAN or Wake on WAN. Since there is a low level of power supplied to the board at all times, you need to address this whenever your swapping out components

the ideal solution is to unplug the power supply from the socket then ground the case with an alligator clip to a seperate ground point and use a wristrap to ground you

the alternative method is to turn off the PSU with its own switch
reliable only if the board has a 5VSB LED indicator on it
at which point you know the board is unpowered, yet the case is still grounded via the AC Socket

the alternative method if there is no switch on the PSU and LED mobo power indicator is to unplug the PSU from the wall socket, then disconnect the main power connector and plug the PSU back into the AC Socket, where once again you have the case grounded

keep in mind that typically the PSU physically contacts the case with a metal to metal contact, at least in the past, and would have at least some contact via the screws, but these adys with painted cases and supplies, some augment that with a grounding strap for the PSU itself (very typical in server supplies where they take no chances with contact)

and religously touch a bare metal surface in the case to ground yourself when swapping componets (this is very typical in here with enthusiasts)
but all in all wristraps are cheap and so are alligator clips and a bit o wire
a grounded work pad is also a good investment, as is being aware of how large a role the lack of humidity has in ESD events, especially in Winter when hot air heating desiccates the moisture out of the air

(see I live on the Rocky Mountain High Dessert Plateau, where its already dry and in Winter with central home heating I humidify the environment when working on components)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

are you getting any beep code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back