Computer problem maybe i just need a new harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt

I've been having a problem with my computer where i constantly have stop errors. I get the blue screen of death sometimes at random but usually it happens at startup all the time when windows is running the loading bar. It usually restarts and happens again once or twice until it starts up w/o any problems sometimes though it doesnt happen. This has happened since i've built my computer. I remember reading somewhere that dell crap doesnt like to run in custom built computers. The harddrive and cd/dvd burnere are from a Dell Dimension 3000 to save a few bucks. My mobo is asus processor is AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor and an Nvidia GeForce 6500. I've tried reinstalling windows too but that didnt do anything. So if anyone can offer any help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

If it is the harddrive is it possible to take everything on it and move it onto another harddrive? if so how would i go about this. Thanks again for any help.

I don't think the hard drive from the Dell is necessarily the problem unless it happens to be defective. When you reformatted the hard drive, did you use a full Windows XP version, non-Dell? Did you install the drivers for the new motherboard?

Yea I used windows xp home edition i got from best buy to reformat and i have made sure the drivers are up to date for everything including the mobo.

well i'm not sure what the problem could be though. Windows has reported the error plenty of time but thats useless in pinpointing the issue. I've even tried taking it to best buy and they told me it was the mobo. Well i ended up buying another asus mobo different then the last one though and it still has the same problems. I even had to change the video card cuz the last one died on me. Am I just gonna have to rebuild the computer? if so what would i need to change? i'm lost on what i should do and would appreciate any guidance. Thanks a bunch.

How much RAM is in it, what brand is it and whats the frequency?

Also, how big is your power supply?

I have 1gig of corsair ram as for the frequency i'm not sure but i assume its at it's default w/e that may be and the psu is 500w not sure what brand it is. Hope that helps give you some ideas let me know if you need any more info.

I'd be willing to put money on bad RAM. Do you have any other RAM laying around you could swap out? Is it two DIMMs or one? If it's two try taking one out and running on half RAM - try it with each, if you take one out and the problem is gone then you've found your bad hardware. Corsair is usually a dependable brand, but things happen.

Do you have a stress tester? Download Prime95 and see if the "blend" test crashes the system.

I got the stress tester but its still going its been 12 hours now :/ should i keep it going? i dont mind though i'll just be watching anime in the meantime anyways.

I tried my friends ram but that still didnt make a difference... I waited for the stress tess but it got to a 3rd different segment of testing and instead of going 1% every 20minutes it ended up going .10% every half hour :/ If you guys have any ideas I would really like to hear them. I appreciate the help thus far and hopefully i can get this figured out.

i guess next time i just wont build my computer :/

You could be having unstable voltage from your power supply. Since you aren't sure of the brand, I suspect it might be an inexpensive no name brand. You didn't mention if you got a new case but if you did and the power supply came with the case, I would replace it unless you got an Antec case.

Perhaps you can try replacing it for test purposes with a known good one?

Hmm I could try that but i've had 3 different power supplies one i used from my original dell, the other I did get with the case and the final one i got from my friends custom computer since he switched to a laptop for college. The recent power supply i have right now is Allied not sure how good it is but i do remember going to best buy and they tested it saying the power supply is fine. Hmm... I remember having a program listing the specifics of each computer part in my comp that i d/led for free but i dont remember what its called or where i got it... maybe that would help? i dunno I got $2500 i could use to troubleshoot this issue the less i can spend the better of course. I guess i would just be best off trying to have best buy fix it again... but last time they said it was the mobo when it clearly wasn't. Anyone know any reliable place I should try? I guess i could try geek squad but thats the same ppl at best buy i think... again sry to trouble you guys with my problem thnks a bunch for trying to help me out with this issue. I depend on my computer too much not just for gaming but I do everthing from bill's to schooling on here too so its really helpfull.

If it wasn't for it not happening every time, I'd say it's probably just your drivers. I would check and make sure that you find out if any of your drivers for all of your hardware are known to cause problems. Also, you probably should try out your video card in another computer as they can sure be the cause of some weird problems.

You may also want to try flashing your mobo with the latest BIOS. Sometimes that can clear up a lot of problems. Just remember if you do it wrong it can also create a lot of problems. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back