Computer reboots and sometimes freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kam

I having problems with the PC rebooting and sometimes freezing when I use video encoding applicatoins, CPU or memory intensive application and play games.

I also went into Control panel - system - startup & recovery settings and unchecked "automatically restart", the PC still reboots after that.
When I looked in Event Log, I found the following error messages

source: service control manager
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM service entered the stopped state

source: service control manager
The computer browser service entered the stopped state

Source: DCOM
unable to start and DCOM server
the system cannot find the file specified
happened while starting this command
"C\WINDOWS\system32\LVComsX.exe"-embedding

Has anyone been having similar problems, does anyone know what they mean?

Can some please tell me how can I fix this rebooting and freezing problem.

My first knee jerk reaction is that you are having an overheating problem causing the computer to freeze or reboot. Open up the case and make sure you have good flow, no failing fans, etc...

I've installed the Thermal Take Silent Tower CPU cooler recently, I have 3 80mm fans installed, 1 blowing air out, 2 blowing air in.

My CPU tempreture is between 40-45C and durring encoding, it reaches upto 55-57C and the CPU fans speed is 2500 RPM

My case fan speed is around 2250 RPM. I've used memtest and could not find any fault with the memory, I updated my MB Driver/Graphics Card Driver/DVD Driver and my viros scan's are upto date.

My PC was built around 3 months ago and I've got the following configerations:

Windows XP Pro SP2

Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro-G
Corsair 2x512 XMS TWINX3200C2PT
Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB Hard Disk
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 1MB 800FSB
ATI Radeon 9200 Atlantis 128MB Graphics Card
Pioneer DVR 108 DVD Drive
Mitsumi 7in1 Media Drive

Can I please have some suggestions and advice as to how I can sort this overheating problem and how I can stop the PC from rebooting and freezing.

I would really appreciate your help and advice as I've spent the last 4 full days, upto 2-3am constantly on my PC trying to find a solution to this problem.

Can someone please help me

This only my personal opion you have more fans blowing out than in, I think it should be the other way round :wave:

I've actually got 1 80mm fan at the back blowing air out, I've got 2 80mm fans at the front and I usually keep one of them active.

Hey, Kam sorry for not getting back to you. Well, if you have good air flow have you checked the PSU? Perhaps, there is a problem with wattage to different components. I am not very mechanical so I wish I could tell you how to check that, probably some sort of voltage meter, but I am not sure how. I hope you get it resolved.

Edit: I didn't notice your error messages. D'oh. Hold on...

Try these links and see if you can find what those error messages mean.

http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

http://www.aumha.org/

http://www.dougknox.com/

same problem

Hello, I know this is really old, but it seems like I'm having the same problems you had two years ago. Did you ever find a fix? Or did you simply take a hammer to your machine like I feel like doing?

Hi

I replaced the T.T Silent Tower CPU cooler with a Gigabyte G-Power Pro Cooler with fan speed control and a changed the internal fans.

After replacing the CPU cooler, the problem had stopped and it didn't reboot or freeze. It was mainly due to the CPU heating up as the Pentium4 3.2cpu did get quite hot during normal use (45-50c) while encoding DVD’s or other CPU intensive tasks, it increased to over 50c.

When these things get too hot, the PC will freeze up or reboot therefore you need better CPU and interior cooling.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. I really doubt it's the cooling system. My cpu never gets hotter than 28-29. It's a pentium D, 3.2. Auto reboot has been occurring in strange places including, but not limited to... loading a webpage (after browsing fine for a while) or burning a dvd.

I'll be the first to admit...I don't know what the heck I'm doing with these things. I think I saw "newbie" or something like that in your profile. What's even newer than a newbie? That's me.

The reason I found this thread in the first place was the error messages you were receiving. I don't even know if this is what's causing reboots. But I was getting the same messages from Event Log as you were. "Web Browser has entered the stop state." etc.
There also seem to be some weird messages with DHCP server. Not being able to assign IP address or something along those lines. This is what it says:

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address....."

Might be Hammer Time.

my computer is also constantly freezing. So much I thought i had a virus and maybe I did so I reformatted. Please help me I'd like any advise I can get. It still freezes after I reformat and I have NEVER had overheating problems before when playing games that made me freeze my video card doesn run hot during games (1 gig ram 2.8 intel cpu and 6800 gs) but this happens just in desktop . I just froze after reformatting while installing rainbow six vegas. It sucks. My gpu temp right now is 64 all I'm doing is installing a game. It's always been high but I'm not sure if this is too high for idle. Can someone tell me whats causing my pc to freeze I just reformatted ffs so is it a hardware problem? I was thinking maybe it's something with the ram but how can I investigate if I have a ram problem any programs to diagnose my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back