Computer restarts 30 mins into a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I get this really annoying problem and it's everytime I play a game for like 30 mins or so, I'd get a blue screen saying something about a system dump. Thing is I'm not much of a computer expert but this is what I've come up with so far.

I noticed it only happens when I use a graphics card in the PCI slot, If I use the onboard graphics card I could play a game all day and nothing would happen. So that kinda narrows down the problem to there somewhere.

I thought it was the actual graphics card so I went about and bought a new 8600GT only to find the same problem again (wehee).

My theory so far (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the graphics card over-heats when playing a game for 30 mins or so then crashes. I guess it does kinda sound abit reasonable because I only have 2 fans in my case.
But then again I read something about my graphics card having some kind of advanced cooling system, weird.

I really doubt it's a driver issue because I formatted my computer and I've installed the latest drivers for everything.

So yeah that's what I think it is, the only other thing I can come up with would have to be something wrong with the motherboard (please not be that or possibly even the CPU, who knows). Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you guys know I have an AMDx64 athlon, 2 gigs of ram and an 8600 GT graphics card and I'm on windows vista. (same problem occured on xp sp2)

woops

Oh yeah and heres the error report:

And heres the error report:

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
13/08/2007 10:59 AM

Status
More information available

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini081307-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 85575028
BCP3: B2000000
BCP4: 00070F0F
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Server information: 1c848909-ef97-4782-8733-7f7905f981bf

check you don't have hardware problems.
Since your game works regardless of the OS you've used (dual boot yes?) with onboard, then it doesn't when you've added a graphics card, then somethings have changed in your system:

Power requirements: check PSU is giving enough juice to run your new card, plus all the other gear in your pc

Temperatures: adequate cooling, self explanitory.

Drivers: up to date? not conflicting with something else?

That dump file would help you alot. either upload it here and someone will read it for you or you can find out how to read it yourself. Have a read of my faq in the signature to give you a start in where to start troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back