Computer shuts off when I search Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer shuts itself off anytime that I run any search on the hard drive. I am running Windows 2000. Anytime I manually search the drive or run a program like SpyBot that searches the drive it shuts down. I don't seem to have any other problems...yet. Any suggestions on what to look for or try.

Thanks
Chris

run a disk check and tick the box to fix errors.

right click my computer select properties and then the advanced tab.

Click on settings under startup and recovery and untick the box which says automatically restart,

Also set the write debugging information to none.

hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. I'm don't have an indepth knowledge of computers. How do I run the "disk check" ?

Thanks
Chris

chris611 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm don't have an indepth knowledge of computers. How do I run the "disk check" ?

Thanks
Chris

Double click my computer, right click on your hard drive and select properties then tools then scandisk or whatever it`s called.

Regards Howard.

BTW Welcome to Techspot
:wave: :wave:

Thanks guys. I have tried your tips and didn't seem to help. I have found two folders that seem to cause the crash or shutdown. They are in C:/Documents and settings/"Name"/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/0UEQIZ03 and 7BKPLVPL. There are a few other folders with the letter/number combination names and they don't cause the shutdown. They mostly contain .jpg images from the internet. What should I do with these? Also when I go under other peoples accounts and the "Name" changes, I there are no folders un "temp. Internet Files". Just the .jpg's. Hope this helps you guys to diagnose.

Thanks again.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back