Computer slowed down significantly after air compressing out the computer

So I'm new to this forum because i require some help from the pros like you =]

After using an air compressor to vent out all the dust in the computer and reassembling the case, the computer acted extremely slow.

I've checked the RAM to see if it's still in place and it was still 2 GBs RAM since it was vented out. I'm wondering if it's something else in the computer that's loose? Or something that might cause the computer to run very slowly.

What I have done to try to fix the problem was to run a few virus scans with Avast! antivirus. I also used CCleaner and BoostWindows.

The computer slowed down rapidly after that time when it was vented out.
I'm pretty sure it isn't about the space in the hard drives or the virtual RAM..

But can you forumers help me out big time?

Thanks sooo much ! =]

-Alvin

that's odd, but it is possible that you have damaged something with the compressed air. there are certain components that are sensitive to any force like certain circuitry on the motherboard. while it's unlikely that you have accidentally removed something, it is possible with a certain amount of air pressure--especially if you used a focused nozzle. i would take a close look at the motherboard and inspect it for any obvious flaws. if you can't find anything, pop the RAM out and re-seat it. also make sure that the CPU heatsink/fan is attached properly.

that's odd, but it is possible that you have damaged something with the compressed air. there are certain components that are sensitive to any force like certain circuitry on the motherboard. while it's unlikely that you have accidentally removed something, it is possible with a certain amount of air pressure--especially if you used a focused nozzle. i would take a close look at the motherboard and inspect it for any obvious flaws. if you can't find anything, pop the RAM out and re-seat it. also make sure that the CPU heatsink/fan is attached properly.

Hmmm,, i noticed that the fan wasn't working after it was vented out,,

but i think it was not working since a long time ago,,,

but i'll make sure to see to connect it if i can.

also, i'm not a computer wiz, so I dont know what to look for when im looking for broken parts.. etc ;S

Thanks for your reply !

Other than just taking off the side panel on the box, did you unclip/unscrew/remove anything else (fans? big pieces of metal?)

Also following up with EXCellR8's suggestion, how close to the motherboard were you holding the compressed air, and did you blow at the electronic parts directly (if yes, for how long?)

I just noticed your 2nd reply. Your fan is probably the culprit. When a computer overheats, it slows itself down (or completely shuts down) to prevent overheating. Might want to check if the fan's connected properly, or if its dead, get another one. This might not be the case if its a fan attached directly on your computer's case.

If you can take a pic of the fan and post it up somewhere we can tell for sure what the fan was cooling, and suggest a replacement.

Condensation from the compressed air could have been emitted onto your electrical parts, (unless you had a dryer fitted to it)?

Condensation from compressed air generally happens only if he used it in extended bursts, which is why I'd like to know how long he blew at those electronic parts.

Back