Computer starts, waits between 3-10 seconds, turns off, repeats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this problem occur once before, but it fixed itself after I removed the power cable and reinserted.

My computer will start up, I hear the hard drive start to spin, all internal fans start up, then the computer turns itself off after anywhere between 3-10 seconds, then turns itself back on after ~3 seconds again and repeats the cycle.

I don't think it's a faulty PSU, as I have a TV tuner card with a LED which stays on at all times. I think it may be a problem with the graphics card, as before this problem began occurring, the computer crashed twice while on a resource-heavy game, then BSOD'd with a memory error.

I've tried starting with the hard drive unplugged, and nothing happened differently (minus the lack of the drive indicator light). I can't remove the graphics card at the moment, but I'll try ASAP. I've also tried removing my TV tuner card, but that also made no difference.

The only modification I've made to my motherboard is to flash it with a more updated BIOS, however that was several months ago and no problems occurred then.

Specs:
  • MB: Gigabyte P35-DS3P (rev 2.0)
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Q6600
  • RAM: 2 x DDR2 1024MB (generic)
  • Graphics card: nVidia GeForce 8600GT
  • HDD: Western Digital 320G SATAII
  • Optical drive: LG DVD Burner

Edit: Forgot to mention, it never gets to POST, it appears to restart just beforehand.

Edit 2: Occasionally it will stay on to emit a series of beeps. I can't tell if they are long or short, though I assume they are short, meaning there's something wrong with my power supply. I'll check it out with a friend of mine.

What type of PSU you got? That 8600 is pretty low powered and should only take about bout 350/400w min. Also, is your grfx card the 512mb version or the 1gb version? Also, the crashing during resource heavy games may be due to the 2gb of RAM. Most resource heavy games these days require at the very least 4gb of RAM, as they are >resource heavy< games.

you cannot tell if you have a faulty PSU just by a LED. You need a tester tool and multimeter.

could be the board. Your memory controller is onboard. thats worst case scenario of course. definently test your PSU and RAM even though ive never seen RAM cause power issues. I have heard a Video Card Create a beep other than the usual two short one long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back