Computer Sudden Death Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has decided to die on me totally just as i get to uni. This is not fun seeing as everything seems to be run by email, please help me to fix it.
When I arrived as university I installed my computer and booted it in the morning, and everything worked correctly, I turned the computer off and left for the day, then when I returned in the afternoon, I first plugged the computer into the campus network, and then attempted to boot the computer. At this point the computer failed to boot what so ever, and the power light flashed twice. When ever I tryed to boot the computer after this, but only after the BIOS settings have been lost either through the stand by power running out or the jumper being used to clear the settings the power light would flash twice as well.
This and the standby power light glowing is all the activity the computer gives off. The screen is totally blank, no fans and no beeps. I have since removed all components but the RAM, processor, motherboard and PSU and this results in no change in the situation.
My PC specification has been filled in in my profile. I would be greatful for some help as i really need it working.

Hello, Judderman, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, it could be that you power supply or motherboard have gone, maybe even both. Is there anyone you could borrow a psu from to see if it will work with a different one in?

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can try that, though people I hardly know may be aprihensive about lending a power supply to the persons whos computer died. I've tried shorting out the standby power and ground on the power supply with no effect, so I suspect it is power supply. This leaves me somewhat pissed off, as the power supply is an expensive Antec NeoHE550 that i thought would last for years. Oh well, thanks for the help.

how long have you had the psu? it might still be under some sort of warranty or guarantee. some top spec hardware have lifetime warranty on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back