Computer turns of randomly and fans go sky high!

thomja

Hello

So I have had a big problem with my computer. It does not happen that often but when it does it is really annoying and scary. My computer just shutsdown and a screwed up noise goes through the speakers and the fans goes sky high! It happened one time when I play crysis 2. I played it for like 5 minutes before it happened. I booted the computer up and then I had a look at my temps which where around 50C. Started up crysis again and played for like 10 minutes and it only went up to 70C. So it is not an overheating issue! What should I do?

Thanks for any help!

I highly doubt it as I bought a new one not too long ago. But please be more specific on why it could be my power supply, thanks

I've had this happen before and I believe it was solved by new drivers or reverting back a set.

You'll want to disable automatic restarts so instead of the system appearing to "crash" flat out it will throw a blue screen instead. This is useful because the BSOD will display information on the error and sometimes will even show the specific file causing the problem.

Also, which graphics card and power supply are you using? The PSU is arguably the most vital component in the computer and they can fail no matter the age.

Alright, so now I have worked on this abit. I have noticed that the computer does not turn off at all! It is my graphics card that is messing with me! I opened up my computer and saw that all the fans ran at normal speed and that the noise came from the graphics card and not the other fans. I managed to see this by comparing it to a normal start. I have all of the latest nvidia drivers for my card so that should not be the problem.

I also took a picture of my system after about 30 minutes of just cause 2 gaming.

temperaturem.png

Maybe a good cleaning of the video card and a drop of oil on the fan bearings might help. If not you might need a new card.

I hope you didn't use a vacuum. I'd be very careful with any oil in your computer, but you could use a small drop of any light weight oil. Remember oil can conduct electricity. You don't want your fan throwing out tiny blobs of short producing material into your computer.

You might want to use MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan speed curve for your video card.

Also, check your BIOS diagnostics page for your power supply voltages (mainly the +12V voltage); they should hover within +/- 10% of the rated value (I.e. 12V). Higher constant voltages may indicate a problem with the power supply.

Back