Computer Turns on but Screen is Blank! Tried Everything, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My configuration is Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, X1950XTX Radeon, 2gb ram, 250HD, 500w powersupply.
So one day I'm using my computer, which had been working wonders for 3 months, and it just shuts down. Then it wouldn't turn back on, at all, no power anywhere. So, I replaced the power supply. I made no other changes other than the power supply. Now it powers up, all the fans turn on (including from the video card), LED light turns on, even the CD rom driver works but I get nothing at all on the screen. And since i get a blank screen with both of my monitors I can't see how it's a monitor problem. I also get no beeps when I turn the computer on, and although I am not sure, I think the hard drive disk spins.

I can't see how it would be the video card since it was previously working and nothing changed on that. The only thing that makes sense to me is that when the old power supply broke the motherboard or, i hope not, the CPU got damaged. Has anyone seem or heard of someone having a similar problem? What Should I try? How can I find out if its the mother board or the CPU malfunctioning? Thank you for the help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First things first, when you installed the new PSU, did you connect the power cord to your graphics card? Did you connect two power connections to your motherboard? Both the 24 pin and the ATX12v connectors?

Assuming you did, I'd strip down to the basics to help with the troubleshooting. Remove your motherboard from the case, and set it on a box beside your case. Intall ONLY the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram and your graphics card (unless you have onboard graphics as well, in which case do not install your graphics card).

Connect the case's speakers to the motherboard.

Connect your monitor to the graphics, and then use a screwdriver to quickly "short" the two pins normally connected to the case's power on switch.

Tell us exactly what happens at this point. What lights are on, what fans are spinning, and what beeps you are getting. Good luck!

Also, please give us your motherboard make/model number, as well as your PSU maker name.

Thank you for your help, haven't figure it out yet

The motherboard is, ECS Elitegroup Socket 775, Intel Core 2 Duo DDR2 533, MATX P4M890T-M2. I can't find the box for the power supply, but its 500w and sly ready, so it should manage what I have with no trouble. I don't know what you mean by the case's speakers, are those the cables that come from the power button in front of the case? There are a lot of them, and I was actually really confused about what they do. I did everything else you said, but I don't understand the "then use a screwdriver to quickly "short" the two pins normally connected to the case's power on switch." Now I unpluged all the cables from the case to the motherboard and don't know where they go in back (i know, not smart I should have taken notes) what should I do??

You motherboard's manual can be downloaded here if you don't have it. It details what wires are to be connected, and where.

As for your case's speaker, you'll need to read your case's manual for that, or check to see if there are labels on the cables themselves. You need to find the wire for the case's speaker (assuming it has one, some don't). This is so you can hear the system beeps.

There are two pins that normally get connected to your case's power on switch. When I say use a screwdriver to "short" them, I mean to quickly touch both those pins at the same time with a screwdriver. This will turn your system on. Have a look at page 12 of your manual. It is pins 6 and 8 you need to "short".

EDIT: by the way, I didn't mention it in my post above, so I'll mention it here just in case.

You also need to connect your power supply to the graphics card and motherboard. Total of THREE connections. One to the graphics card, and TWO to your motherboard. The 24 pin and the ATX12v power connections.

if you did what DonNagual said and it still doesn't work, then the problem lies with RAM, CPU, motherboard or CPU. Even with faulty RAM or CPU, you should get some kind of boot (although with errors) - if still no POST, your PSU is bad.
Read the NO POST guide in the guides forum.

Update, THank you again

Ok, I did everything you said and turns out now it works. The problem I'm having now though is that the computer is automatically shuts down after a little while, which I know probably means its overheating right? I think the problems is that, earlier when I was trouble shooting, I took out the cpu to put it back in but accidentaly it brushed my carpet and most of that grey heat thing on it was taken off. That's probably why its overheating right? Do I have to order more of it? Thank you for the help.

i hope this is not inappropriate (posting this) i had the same problem with an HP and i've tried every thing form changing the power supply, changing RAM, video card but with no results. So i recently bought a new MoBo and i pluged in only the ram, cpu, HSF, hard drive but nothing shows up on the monitor. At this point im thinking it's the CPU. What do you guy's think should i try a new CPU.

Hello AXXEL. I'd actually recommend starting a new thread on this. Be sure to post your complete system specs, with part model numbers.

But if you do have access to another CPU that is compatible with your motherboard, it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back