Computer will not boot into Windows OS

ajross

Hello readers... I need help!

Recently, I pulled an old laptop (2 or 3 years at most) out of the closet to start using again (I stopped using it because 1. I think it had a virus that I hadn't had time to take care of and 2. I got a new computer that replaced it for the time being.

Anyhow, when I try to turn on the computer, I have the option to enter BIOS, make and save changes. However, when I try to boot into Windows, it provides only a blank screen (As if there was no OS at all.. There are no errors, beeps, or words displayed. (Which makes me think that there is some kind of rootkit or virus.) As far as I know there are data files, system files and such on the internal drive; I played with it before I put it in the closet to try and recover homework assignments and all were visible...

However, now, when I try to view the files as I did before (Using a LiveCD trial from Ubuntu) it gives me the following error when I try to access the drive (Which also leads me to believe that there is a virus):

"Unable to mount drive \dev\sda3 because it may be in use by another program" or something along those lines.

At this point in time, I have tried to reinstall Windows Vista (The original OS, not the recovery disc... I got the IOS files free from my school because I'm a student there.) but when Windows "finishes loading disc files", it provides only a blank screen as well.

I am not worried about saving anything from the computer itself; I just want to be able to use it again.

Help anyone?!
Many thanks,
A.

Thank you for the suggestion! However, I have been there.. After reading my comment below, do you think I should try making another disc using the .iso I have?

I've come to the conclusion I may not even be able to use the CD drive at this point..

I tried using several "different" CDs, but to no avail. First, I tried using Ubuntu (This worked; execpt that I couldn't see the hard drive contents {Like something was keeping me from seeing it}).

Next, I tried using the bootable Vista DVD I made with ImgBurn, and like I stated above, it still prompted with a blank screen.

After this, I thought I may be able to "delete" everything using a partitioning tool I could use to boot from. Again, I made another bootable disc using ImgBurn. However, this didn't work either.

We have a pattern, here. I can only get so far using the CDs and trying to boot directly from the HDD.

Would this be a corruption (virus) or something that failed due to damage or heat (hardware)?

Thanks in advance!
A.

What about a bootable flash drive?
"Would this be a corruption (virus) or something that failed due to damage or heat (hardware)?"

Yes, could be...

I didn't think about a flash drive.. I may try that this evening and let you know what I come up with.

Back