Computer will not post

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingross

Well I just bought a new computer. When I went to put the thing together the computer would not post. (I am new to all of this because Ive used macs for a very very long time, but i did have some friends if mine help me out.) We tried disconecting the dvd and hard drives and that didnt help. We screwed around with the jumper settings and that didnt help. We figured that the mother board must have been bad so I sent that back to newegg and i am still waiting on it. I tried as a stopgap between now and then to hook up my friends old stuff that he knew worked. I swapped out the motherboard, processor and power supply (i know that the RAM is good because we tested it out on my friends computer). It still will not post. Does anyone have any idea what i should do???? This is driving me insane. I keep kicking myself in the *** for not buying a new mac but i was just so fed up with not being able to run anything on them and now this new computer wont even run. Please tell me one of you has the answer to my problems. I am dying without a computer.

Sorry, the specs are:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Abit KN8 Ultra
Corsair XMS 2GB (2x 1GB) Twinx2048-3200c2pt
Antec Truepower 550 II
evga 7900GT
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS
COOLER MASTER Wave Master TAC-T01

everything else was disconnected so I won't list them

the old stuff I borrowed is
Athlon XP 2500+
ATI AIW 7500
ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe
generic 400w power supply

any help would be appreciated

If you know the parts you just put in work then the first thing to do would be to check and make sure there is no metal contacting the Mobo and causing a short. when you install the mobo you did use the standoffs didnt you?

I build new pc's outside the case, get them up and running and then install them into the case. That way, its easier to re-seat the cpu and pull out the ram and re-seat it, things like that. With the ram, even new, its best to take a pencil eraser and clean the gold contacts with the eraser. A pen eraser is too hard.
Have you re-set the bios correctly? Check the website and manual as the correct procedure varies a bit.

Also, a pc should be built with the minimum it takes to get it up and running, then add in one piece of hardware at a time, rather than putting everything all together and starting it up, that way you get a better chance of not having problems you cant find.

Asus boards are very picky about RAM. consult the manual as to which types it will take. Also you used an old PSU. It may have degraded and it not producing the power your board needs.

the old mobo does not have the correct hookup for the new psu. my friend just came up with some more old stuff for me to try out. hopefully this stuff will work and ill be able to keep my sanity until the new stuff arrives.

I build new pc's outside the case, get them up and running and then install them into the case. That way, its easier to re-seat the cpu and pull out the ram and re-seat it, things like that. With the ram, even new, its best to take a pencil eraser and clean the gold contacts with the eraser. A pen eraser is too hard.
Have you re-set the bios correctly? Check the website and manual as the correct procedure varies a bit.
Also, a pc should be built with the minimum it takes to get it up and running, then add in one piece of hardware at a time, rather than putting everything all together and starting it up, that way you get a better chance of not having problems you cant find
excellent advice... I start with NO CASE, mobo,psu,cpu-cooler-fan, memory(1stick), 1floppy drive.... assemble on the kitchen table... if you can not get that to boot... your in trouble..
1. the fans must start 1st .. the bios setting must be set correctly...start there and move forward. start with new cables..

if you can not get that to boot... your in trouble..
Bingo! Plus, another small factoid. Sometimes windows xp doesnt like certain extra hardware that is not needed, perhaps residing in a pci slot or usb. But if you install win xp without it and add it in after win xp is installed, all is well. Seen that happen a few times. I have had a few people tell me that windows xp wouldnt accept a certain part. I tell them to go back and try installing that same item after the install and boom it installs and works fine.
There are so many tricks we need to learn and remember. I think i learn a new one almost every day. And helping others helps me remember them, lol.

Kingross, im just guessing, but if you are saying that your mobo takes a 20 pin connector and your new ps has a 24 pin connector, i believe you can use that connector, at least thats what i have head. Course it may not be that you were referring to that connector.

well ive got a computer that is working for the most part. its not my stuff but it works for now. thanks for the help guys

PC annot on

Pls. Help me to solve my problem!

My PC is not turning on, the PS fan is not spinning theres no light on other than the led in the front of the PC case, i tried to put on the PS to other PC and its work properly, also i tried to put the mother board to other PC but its turning on, it it possibly the motherboard is the problem???

Daveanjen

In most forums its best to start your own thread, not too many people are going to see your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back