Computer will not turn on despite best efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmundtran

Hi, got a major problem here and I don't know how to sort it out!

Basically my computer will not turn on. I had been using my computer the day before, and the problem developed quite randomly: I got back the next day and it wouldnt turn on! However the cause is not so simple, in fact I don't know what the cause is let alone what the problem is. I've eliminated a few things so far:

1) Power cable: not this because I've tried it with different power cables which work.
2)PSU: Not this because I shorted some of the pins on the large PSU-Motherboard connector, and thus turning on the PSU.
3) Graphics card: Tried with a different card and no luck
4) Drives: Not this because while the PSU was on I could open and close them.

This means that there are few few things left, although I may have missed some:

1) Power switch: not sure why this would be the problem, because the problem developed seemingly randomly with no interference. Also, I've tried shorting the power-switch pins on the motherboard with a pair of scissors to try to emulate the power on button being pressed- no luck.
2) Motherboard: I dont know how to test if the motherboard is working.. so i'm really not sure but this one is still at the top of my list. However, I did notice something, when inserting the large PSU-motherboard connector, I put it in at a slight angle and the whole computer turned on and off rapidly.
3) Memory: Almost brand new memory so I guess its unlikely. Anyway, would memory cause such a problem?

Does anyone have any idea at all of what would be the problem? Any answers are greatly appreciated- i'm desperate!

Ps As a side project, is there a way to force the computer on? I saw some signs of life with the motherboard (as above) and was wondering if there computer could be turned on without rapidly going off and back on again?

Thanks, anyone
Ed

I think your motherboard is bad. You should never connect the power connectors when the PS is plugged into the wall.

By that do you mean my motherboard isnt very good, or do you mean it is busted? Do you think this is the most likely problem, and what do you think the cause is?

you may be closer than you think
(the whole computer turned on and off rapidly)
check with magnifier board may have bad traces or pins on PS may be making bad contact
I have experianced the plugs goung to HDD's going bad also the fan connecters
so why not the main plug

Thanks for the help. How could I tell If the plug is making bad contact? I've had a look at it and it doesn't look like theres anything wrong...

The On off Button is turned orange

For some reason, my computer is not able to turn back on.
I do not know what I did wrong. :confused:

The model is a Gateway. ^_^;; (Windows XP)
Pentium 4, Intel 3. It's about four years old (Give or take a year.)

I have two questions concerning this: :wave:

Q1.) What does the Orange button mean (telling me)? and why is it not turning on?

-I think it might be the trigger to start-up for The PC, is damaged.

The computer it's self is completely fine when it was working. It was just starting to have this problem just three days ago. This had a simular incident, the three days ago: (The computer when it was on: was working wonderfully.)
:suspiciou Just for some odd reason, it now refuses to turn on.

Q2.) There is a tale (old-man's Rumar) that a computer, after it's 4rth year in owner-ship starts to internally decompose. Is this true?

-QExtra: And do you think, that that my problem, is something that can be easily fixed (or should, I just buy a new computer?) ^_^ (?) :confused:

Thank you, ^_^

-Jashiwi-Sama ^__^

same problem

a few nights ago i shut down my computer before i went to sleep. i suddenly remembered something i needed to complete and i went to turn it on, but it, i dont know how to describe, but it like sparked (no, no sparks). like it turned on for less than half a second. i have 2 LED fans installed and i saw the lights flicker once. i know that the power is plugged into the motherboard because the CPU fan turned on also, but shut down after a second, same with the other fans. so can anyone help me with this. i would appreciate it.

if you need tech specs, my computer includes the following:

1.5 gb of RAM
120 gb hard drive
elitegroup 848P-A motherboard
pentium 4 processor 3 mhz
raidmax ATX 12v power supply
nvidia geforce fx5200 128mb video card

its custom...

PSU is dead - and perhaps the rest of your system. Replace the PSU and hope the rest of your system isn't damaged.

Hi, I basically am a dumb person and have no idea what is wrong with my computer. My computer is the Hp Pavilion media centre pc and its been working fine till a power outage (blackout due to lightning and wind) from 2-3 days ago. Yesterday my computer started to shut down itself and when i tried turning it back on by pressing the power button, it just lights up and shuts off (blue button goes on for 1 second and shuts down no response) i pressed it many times but it kept repeating. I let it rest and today it works but shuts down again and won't turn back on. I checked the plugs but it still don't work. I tried unplugging everything except the monitor and the main plug but it don't work so can someone help me please

COmputer

I was cleaning my house yesterday and it required that we move my computer. We moved it vacumed around it, it was looking dusty so i vacuumed the computer. We moved the computer to a new place in the room. Now it wont start, it was having no problems at all until yesterday when it would turn on. All the cords are attached correctly. There is a flashing green light on the back of the computer regardless if the computer is plugged into anything at all

hi!! everyone
I Have a problem,
when im playing Hellgate, the next sec, my PC just shut off, then when i try to turn on again. i cant turn on my PC, all i see is a blue light (<--like stand by or.. IDK)
I unplug every system (hardware. ect) and rebuild again, it still not work, and the blue light still here~~!!
Oh one thing!! i think the power is still on cuz the blue light, but the power connection fan is not moving O_O (wierd) ,
CAN ANY ONE HELP ME !!!!!!~~~~~~~

My PC "
NIVID 680i SLI
Core Dual 2
Nivid 8800 graphic Card
2 harddriver ( both is 500 GB0
Wireless adapter
and 500W power connection

marg

I have similar issue. My HP Vista is in safe mode and will not start even when I shut down and restart. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back