Computer Won't POST after a POWER outage! What is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer Won't POST after a POWER outage! What is wrong?
A few days ago there was a power outage at my house, killing all eletrical appliances and my computer that was on during the time. It was late so I left my computer, and went up stairs to sleep wihout checking to see if there were any damages. Fist mistake.. Next day, turned on the computer, and what do you know computer won't POST (turn on bios)! I had a bad feeling when I went to sleep.
Behavour:
- Computer won't post even thought its powered
- 1 fan in the front is not working
- The led lighting in the front is not on
- No BIOS beep

IMPORTANT:
A weird thing that happened was when I left my computer off for a whole day, and when I try turning it on it actually worked but then would have restarting errors and POST errors.

Also computer is connected to a power surge protector, however the protector wasn't connected directly to the wall output. The power surge -->Lamp power plug ---> Wall power

In a situation like this, the power supply is the usual suspect.

roxxar said:
Also computer is connected to a power surge protector, however the protector wasn't connected directly to the wall output. The power surge -->Lamp power plug ---> Wall power

I shouldn't think that this would be an issue. A high voltage spike might have taken out the light bulb. But that's just speculation

Help!Computer won't post

We had several short power outages in a row this Wed. the 13 of AUG..No we were not having bad weather just for some reason the power in the area just kept going out.So did my computer. Infact it never came back on it just beeped when I tried to push the power button. The fans came on the green light in the back came on and blinked in the same pattern as the light in the front, but the green light in the front just blinked orange really fast. I looked inside and double checked the connectors and such.I did see one capacitor that looked bloated on the top. I also checked the battery but when I took it out and then replaced it. The lights and fans never came back on. Also it is connected to a surge protector and none of my other appliances or computers broke just the most expensive computer I own.(Gateway 505GR fully loaded) Can any one give me any advice or ideas on what to do HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

Not just a UPS power bar, but one with at least 3500 joules and 8 sockets.

I agree with others who believe a replacement of the power supply with at least a 400 Watt unit... FSP Group, Sparkle, or other top quality unit.

It is not often the power itself, it is a combination of things, including the load at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back