Computers wont talk to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

Hi, I've read several posts like this one today but none solves my issue. I have two computers each running XP connected to a linksys EFAHO5W 10/100 hub which is then connected to an DSL modem. Each computer can access the internet via the hub first then the modem. Last year when I set up the network w/ three computers they all connected. After hooking them up again after a seven month disconnect they will not register a connection to each other when 'view workgroup computers applet button is clicked. Computer 1 has been upgraded during the disconnect period with more and faster memory as well as an additional hard drive. Computer 2 was able to see a third computer (computer 3 removed from the network a few days ago). but could not see computer 1. computer 3 could see computer 2 as well but it also registered no connection to computer 1.
Things I've tried:

(1.) switch around the connections on the linksys hub

(2.) run the XP connect wizard >other>this computer connects to the internet through a networkhub other computers connect through the hub> then I click first turn on printer file sharing (does not work) (3.) so run the wizard again and turn off printer and file sharing also does not work

(4.)restart both computers and turn off power to the hub and back on

(5.)run the wizard and choose >this computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway- do this with both computers.

(6.) ran a diagnostic found at MS supprt knowlege base to try pinging :eek: the hub and other computer but got hopelessly lost. puke:

(7) turn off windows sp2 firewall on both computers but left my AVG 7.1trial version firewall running on computer 1. (please note that this issue was encountered before the installtion of AVG so AVG is probably not the problem.)

(8) followed a tutorial found here www.homenethelp.com that stormbringer
had placed in a simmilliar post to manually configure both computers with no luck

So to sum up both of my computers will share my internet connection but they will not network
Why not?

A hub cannot provide Internet access to multiple computers unless there is an Internet server of some sort. This server may be another PC or a router.

If you have a hub connected to a DSL modem, one of your computers needs to be configured with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or alternatve form of Internet sharing. Some DSL modems can be routers and if your modem is a router, then the hub should work.

Each computer also requires a static IP unless you have a DHCP server. A router can act as a DHCP server for you which eliminates the need to setting up lengthy IP addresses, subnets and gateways etc..

If you don't have these things, then the easiest thing to do is replace your hub with a router. If you have a router already, then remember a hub is different so you might want to be careful with your terminology. :)

ran a diagnostic found at MS supprt knowlege base to try pinging the hub
You will not be able to ping a hub. A hub is just a "dumb" device that connects cables together. You will be able to ping a router, however. A router is like a little server in a box. :approve:

Rick is correct of course about the Hub/router, but I'm going to assume you have a router and NOT a hub.

Make sure all computers are on same work group.
Turn off all Firewalls for now.
Enable File sharing on all computers.
Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks and File sharing MS Networks is checked in properties window of network connection on all PCs.

verify TCP/IP

run ipconfig /all on each computer
these must be the same:
gateway address
submask
dns server address(es)
and each system must have a unique IP ADDRESS

A hub will not help you get this right (no dhcp) and you would need to use static IP
for all of the above [ also your ISP would need to sell you each IP address]

A router (using dhcp) will do it all for you IF you enable all the NICs on the
network to use DHCP for IP and DNS.

k I'll let on how things go when i've figured it all out and applied the solutions. And Rick, short of actually calling Linksys on the phone I don't know how to figure out what I have. They have a link to access downloads for my model hub but their link goes to a blank page :hotbounce . I'm only 50% sure on wether this is a router or a hub. I did watch Linksys' infomercial about their built in security. It sounds like its built into all their products but once again things are about as clear as mud. I've had to many beers today to really be messing about with this stuff today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back