Concerns About Daemon Tools Install on Windows 7

LoneSword

Just the other day, I downloaded Daemon Tools 4.01 through FileHippo on a recommendation. At the end of the install, it told me that I needed to restart to complete installation, no big deal. However, upon logging back on to Windows, my entire system locked up, taking minutes to even open the Start menu or respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del, and I was finally forced to power it down. After I was met with the same problem upon my second reboot, I attempted to run it in Safe Mode, which also failed. Frustrated, I left for awhile, but when I tried again, the system booted perfectly fine--the only (briefly) recurring symptom was that the entirety of 'Windows.exe' was contained inside of a 'Not Responding' window. When I checked my installed programs, Deamon Tools was nowhere to be found. Subsequent restarts occasionally fail, with the screen stuck on the "Logging on to Windows" (or whatever) screen after startup, which then forces me to power the computer down once again.

I've run scans with both Avira and MalwareBytes, both relinquishing nothing. I had also successfully installed Daemon Tools Ultra in the past with no difficulties. And yes, I would have tried a System Restore, but for some reason System Restore won't make new Restore Points (I'm currently in the throes of trying to fix that problem through Microsoft).

Can anyone help me with this? I'm completely lost here. Thanks in advance.

I ran into some issues with Daemon Tools several years ago (after using it for many many years). So I quit. If you uninstall it, does your problem go away (I think in my case it did not, and it was a bit of a hassle to get things back fine, although, my problem wasn't the same as yours).

If uninstalling it fixes your system, I would say forget Daemon Tools and get Virtual Clone Drive instead.

Back