Configuring outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnH

Hello All

Configuring outlook.

My ISP provided a disk that configured Outlook Express and Internet explorer. (All working fine)
I have since loaded office and would like to get outlook going, can someone point me in the right direction to get started?

When I start outlook it promps for Post office and MS exchange server etc. I am assuming these are LAN related items, as I have no info about them with my dial up paperwork.

Cheers John

Do you have any idea of what settings you would require if your outlook express had to be configured manually?

for example, do you know whether your ISP's email service is POP3 or is it IMAP.

Do you know whether the servers require authentication, etc. Do they operate only on specific ports other than the outlook defaults?

Do you know the appropriate username and password for the email service?

Do you know the server names or IP's?

If you are going to manually configure these Outlook, you will need to know these things. You will be able to look at the settings for your mail account on Outlook Express to find these, so look at them and jot them down. (or ask your ISP for them.)

Once you have all the settings, fire up Outlook, and ...

...follow these instructions for POP3, substituting your details for the ones given on the webpage.

or

...follow these instructions for IMAP, substituting your details for the ones given on the webpage.

Personally, I'd stick with Outlook Express, unless you really need outlook...

...How do Outlook and Outlook Express relate?

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks Spike

Hello Spike, Thanks for the info.

Very interesting about the two outlooks, I always assumed they were part of the same family.

Yes I have all the setting from my ISP and managed to manually configure Outlook Express the first time. (Then I found the disk).

But with Outlook I can’t seem to get to that point of being able to manually configure. I suspect there is something else I have missed. I will preserver for a bit longer, but may cry for help again.

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply

Kind regards
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back