Confusing error

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here is the deal. I just finished building my new pc. I believe that all the hardware is 100% correctly put in to the case. here is the problem:

When i boot my pc up, the fans are running everything looks good. My monitor on the other hand say "Monitor is in power save mode, Activate using pc." This is confusing to me. Now i have done a few things to solve this, but all failed. Iv'e tried a new monitor, no good... same message. I've rechecked my hardware... good i think. Now i have a USB and it goes through its checks when i boot up even though the monitor is not working. From what i understand from reading about the usb 4 red constant lights means something is wrong with your processor, but what do 4 green lights mean that are constant? Some people said to me that when you first boot up the pc there should be beeping. They said this is good. Well no sound happens with mine.... fans run lights go on. reset switch works... power switch ect... I can't figure out why it wont run though. If anyone has any suggestiong please.

Please post your system's specs. Best done by filling out your profile in this forum.

I'd start with the ram. First try the obvious, take the ram out and re-seat it. Next, if you have two sticks, try taking one out and see if that helps.

What is your graphics card? Does it require it's own connection to the power supply (as most new cards do) and have you connected it?

When posting your computer's specs, please include details on your power supply as well.

Board: MSI 865g neo2
Ram: Corsair twin 512's XMS
PS: Coolmax power supply
Pross: Intel p4 3.2
Antec case
250gig sata HD
Soundblaster live

Key faeatures for PS: six dc outputs : +5v, -5v, +12v, -12v, +3.3v, +5v
230v(200vmin.-264vmax. 50hz
115v (100vmin.-132v max, 60hz

im not to sure about this power supply its a 400watt but its got a bunch of switches on the back. 1 to set between 230 or 115 and another switch which labels H,A and L not sure what thats for :(, it was recommended by a friend but maybe it doesnt have enough juice for me?...

Everything powers on though, graphics card does need to be connected to pwer supply. and the fan is running on my graphics card so im guessing it has power :). i did plug it to the power supply though. Maybe i put the ram in the wrong slots( something stupid like that probably.)

your coolmax psu probably failed to deliver enough startup current, assuming you haven't made any mistakes yourself. i advise that you acquire a name brand model (antec, thermaltake, enermax) of 450w or better.

its not the power supply. I hear on the windows xp forum that people have similar problem as i do but no one has found a solution yet

how you know it's not the PSU? given the parts you have, and the fact that it's powered by a coolmax PSU (known for crapiness) i'd say that's the first thing to check. when you bought, did you check to make sure your components were drawing less power that the PSU is rated for?

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Slidercraft said:
im not to sure about this power supply its a 400watt but its got a bunch of switches on the back. 1 to set between 230 or 115 and another switch which labels H,A and L not sure what thats for
The switch H A L is psu fan speed, High, Low, Auto.

Zephead is right I've replace several that were brand new.
Try your componants in another machine that is known to work,
1 piece at a time to eliminate things.
Chances are it's a bad MoBo, ram or psu.
G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back