Connecting laptop to home stereo trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I connect my Ipod to my home stereo using a common miniplug to rca adapter, and it sounds great.

When I listen to music on my new laptop with my shiny expensive headphones - it sounds great.

But, when I plug my laptop into the same miniplug-rca I get a humming sound over my home stereo speakers.

I don' think there is anything wrong with my laptop, cause it makes great sound form it's little speakers; great sound from louzy ear bud headphones; and really great sound with my good headphones.

Any suggestions?

hmmm...
do you mean that:
there's humming sounds present
AND / OR?
the sound output quality is bad?

for the humming sound, it could be because your output impedance between headphone and home stereo is not the same. especially if your home stereo has a big powerful amp.

in this case, try to update the sound card driver. however case related to electrical current is difficult to solve. hope some professional would come to take a peek at this thread ;)

How are you hooking these devices to your home stereo?

IPOD 1/8 to Y splitter L/R = AUX1 L-White / R-Red (RCA Analog Stereo Jack)
Laptop 1/8 to Y Spliter L/R= AUX2 L-White / R-Red (RCA Analog Stereo Jack)

Make sure you balance the sound from both devices and your stereo system has to be blance with sound.

You can buy add-ons so you can use the same port if you don't have two AUX for sound input. It does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back