Connecting to Internet via Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I am doing this correctly. I am having a problem connecting a computer to the internet via a router...
I have DSL now. I just moved from a place where I had cable modem and router connection and didn't have this problem. Now, with DSL setup, the router is connected to the modem and I already have tried 2 other pc's connected to the router and both have connected fine to the internet.
However, I have a another computer that won't seem to connect to the internet and I'm not sure why. Could it be a faulty part??? It is a Dell, about 2 years old (I can get the model info if necessary) with Windows XP. I am using a ethernet cable and the green and yellow light on the NIC card are on when I try to connect. I noticed the fan is going on and off and won't run steady but found out that has been going on for awhile so I don't think that has anything to do with it?? Could it be virus related?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

lpope said:
I noticed the fan is going on and off and won't run steady but found out that has been going on for awhile so I don't think that has anything to do with it?? Could it be virus related?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: being that you just moved, you may want to open that computer up and check all your connections, it may have been bumped around during the move, and loosened something inside.

If your fans are running intermittently, then you may be having a problem with that computer. Is this the fan that sits on top of your CPU heatsink? I wouldn't worry about connecting to the internet, until you fix that fan, you may need a new fan.

Do you have you LAN settings set correctly, in Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections tab Lan settings?

Your NIC card may be bad, you might try removing it, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, and reistall it, and try another ethernet cable.

Yes, a virus, and scumware (spyware and adware), can keep you from getting on the internet, so I would scan for them; you should, at a minimum, do weekly scans.

if what that dude said doesnt work it could still be a spyware. A while back i got a spyware that couldnt be detected and "limited my connection" so i couldnt get on the internet, but a little program designed for it takes it out. so if the dude before fails to help u let me know and ill give u a link.

are you getting an IP? is it a 169.254.x.x? or is it in range of the other systems, ie. 192.168.x.x?

Can you ping the router(default gateway)?
Can you ping web addresses?
Have you tried repairing the connection?(In XP SP2 this actually performs several sligthly useful commands which can sometimes clear up tcp/ip problems, prior to sp2, it just renewed the IP)

Thanks all that responded. It was the NIC card that needed to be replaced. And all is working now. Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back