connection test

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

Posts: 333   +0
Hi guys, basically im networked, my main pc and laptop. Basically Internet explorer and msn work fine on my laptop. However for the past month msn has been workin now and then but i just get the message saying its temporay unavailabe. I want to do a connection test but i dont get how?. I did a small connection test on my msn on my main pc and i get the message:
We were unable to troubleshoot your connection to the .NET Messenger service. There is possibly a problem with the service, your Internet connection, or your proxy settings. Please check your settings and make sure that you are connected to the Internet. Ive tried reinstalling but to no use


Please can someone advice me
 

Ididmyc600

Posts: 1,309   +5
bobby123 said:
Hi guys, basically im networked, my main pc and laptop. Basically Internet explorer and msn work fine on my laptop. However for the past month msn has been workin now and then but i just get the message saying its temporay unavailabe. I want to do a connection test but i dont get how?. I did a small connection test on my msn on my main pc and i get the message:
We were unable to troubleshoot your connection to the .NET Messenger service. There is possibly a problem with the service, your Internet connection, or your proxy settings. Please check your settings and make sure that you are connected to the Internet. Ive tried reinstalling but to no use


Please can someone advice me

Yes here's my advice, get rid of messenger and use another client, I have 4 kids, all of whom come to me constantly asking if the internet is down as MSN isnt working, my reply, " can you get a webpage up?, yes!, then its fine".

MSN has recently been plagued by server dropouts and you can bet your not alone.

Here's another example of the uselessness of MSN, My Wife can tell me that a friend of mine is online and has just signed in and wants to talk to me, so I open the old laptop and try to sign in..... 4 attempts later i finally get a connection.

Thank god I only use MSN occasionally.

Regards
 

bobby123

Posts: 333   +0
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
thanks for your reply, what other clients are there which can be used to access msn?
 

SNGX1275

Posts: 10,592   +453
Its a program that connects to multiple IM networks. That way if you have Yahoo, AIM, MSN you don't need to run 3 separate programs.
 

krismeister

Posts: 7   +0
you would still use MNS even with gaim

you would still use the MSN network even if you weren't using their client program.

What Ididmyc600 was saying was use a different service completely.

Like google talk or yahoo messenger.

i like google talk, and i can search through all my previous IMs from my gmail account. Very handy if you remmeber an IM conversation you had but need some specific info from it.
 

SNGX1275

Posts: 10,592   +453
krismeister said:
What Ididmyc600 was saying was use a different service completely.

Like google talk or yahoo messenger.

i like google talk, and i can search through all my previous IMs from my gmail account. Very handy if you remmeber an IM conversation you had but need some specific info from it.
Thats great. Except changing services doesn't address the problem. What if his buddies only have MSN names?
 

Ididmyc600

Posts: 1,309   +5
SNGX1275 said:
Thats great. Except changing services doesn't address the problem. What if his buddies only have MSN names?

Tell your friends your changing to a diff client due to the unreliability of MSN of course, i'm sure they will be having the same problems and its only going to make the mighty MS realise that when people stop useing the service.

Regards
 

bobby123

Posts: 333   +0
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #12
SNGX1275 said:
Thats great. Except changing services doesn't address the problem. What if his buddies only have MSN names?
i cant seem to access msn using gaim, how do u set up the email account i was previously using on msn?
 

SNGX1275

Posts: 10,592   +453
bobby123 said:
yes it does mate
Either I'm missing something, or Trillian Basic doesn't support MSN. If you are talking about Trillian Pro then thats different.

See Attachment.

Edit: Oops, the reason I didn't see MSN is because you have to add that plugin in the prefs. Upon this knowledge, I say use Trillian rather than GAIM, I never liked GAIM anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.