Consistent BSOD starting with Steam CS:S and Alien Swarm play

Hello, I'm having consistent BSOD errors that vary in nature. This started a few days ago was playing a steam game called Alien Swarm, then it started happening in CS:S games as well. I think I've had about every error you can imagine including bad pool caller, page fault in non paged area, driver corrupted_mmpool. Some of the files referenced have been ct20xflt.sys, nv4_mini.sys, and ipnat.sys. The steps I have taken so far, basically in order, include:
  1. uninstalled norton endpoint (corporate) AV
  2. updated Nvidia Display Driver
  3. updated BIOS
  4. updated chipset
  5. updated sound driver
  6. thoroughly cleaned system with spray can, eraser stick on ram, reseated CPU with new MX-2 ceramic paste
  7. reset page file
  8. ran memtest through 15 passes (7.5 hours) 0 errors
CPU temps get up to about 42c in-game, I have also had a BSOD when I was changing the sound settings on my sound card (enabling crystalizer and SVM). Attached are my minidump files. Thanks in advance for your help with this. I've tryed to go through all your requested preliminary steps before posting the dump files.

Here are my system specs:
  1. ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
  2. AMD Phenom II X2 555 (default settings)
  3. 1GBx2 PC1333 8-8-8-21 DDR3 (currently set at 9-9-9-24 cl2)
  4. PNY NVIDIA 9800GT
  5. Soundcard/Speakers
  6. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
  7. Western Digital VelociRaptor 150
  8. Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D
  9. Windows XP SP3

View attachment Minidump set one Brentwds.zip

View attachment Minidump set two Brentwds.zip

Your issue lies with your Symantec security suit, particularly the Symantec CMC Firewall driver WpsHelper.sys

Many people have issues with Symantec not only here on these boards but I personally know of at least 7 people outside the TechSpot community who within the last 2 weeks that had to uninstall it because it was causing numerous issues.

Since you uninstalled make sure you use their special Removal Tool for your version to make sure all drivers are gone. Symantec is notorious for leaving drivers behind as your minidump attests.

where do I find the removal tool at ?, also I used drive sweeper to clean out my sound card and video card drivers and re-installed them. That seemed to be what ultimately did the trick. I haven't had a problem since I did that. Running latest x-fi and 9 seriers nvidia drivers now no problems but I haven't reinstalled symantec, from what your saying i probably won't. Guess its back to AVG thanks for reply

NM i found the removal tool without a problem, i probably won't use it now unless I have a problem later since its running ok now

Back