Constant Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesCaliber

I've been getting random IRQL bsods for the past few months. My computer was fine when I first built it but since January? Maybe December, it's been having these bsods. I ran Memtest for 8hrs came back with 0 errors, prime95 for 4hrs, furmark for 2hrs, and all of that hardware passed. I don't even know where to begin with fixing my bsods. I've been researching it, but I've tried all of the "solutions" and non seem to work, I have a bunch of different stop codes.

I have 0xd1, 0x1e, 0xa, and 0xf7

If anyone can help me to figure out how to fix this, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
James, when there are so many varying error codes we have found that the issue is often due to memory issues. Of course this is 100% across the board but it comes close. Your errors only cited Windows OS drivers and these are usually too general to be of use for dianostic purposes.

Please link us to your motherboard and memory.

Since Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

The Ripjaws series is certainly excellent memory. Is it listed on the Qualified Vendors List for memory for this board? Asus has one for each and every model they make. It will be listed on their website. Just go to the page for your particular model.

So you're saying I'm getting all these random bsods because the ram I have isn't "qualified" for my motherboard? I don't want to buy a new set of ram and that not be the problem. How do you analyze the minidumps??

Here is the thing about Asus motherboards that is very well known: They are picky about what RAM that can be installed on each and every motherboard model they make. Every model has a QVL list -- every one.

I don't know if it is qualified or not. What does the QVL say? To keep thi in perspective no QVL is exshaustive. Do the following:

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

* To read the minidump files you need the special Microsoft Windebugger tool and their symbol packages.

Okay I've attached the 2 minidumps and they are in a zip folder (because they are over 200kb and it won't let me attach anything over 200kb)
I only have 2, I opened them up with Windbg, but I don't really understand it.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    51.6 KB · Views: 1
Two error codes.

The first is 0x1E:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors which are caused either by hardware or drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level than they are designed for resulting in crashes.

It simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

The second error is 0xF7: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

Cause
A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary address when the function returned.

This is the classic "buffer overrun" hacking attack. The system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user from gaining complete control of it. But there are other causes as well.

Only a Windows OS driver was cited and they are too general to be of much use for diagnostic purposes.

However, in researching it appears that either display/video drivers or audio drivers can be a main culprit.

Two error codes.

The first is 0x1E:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors which are caused either by hardware or drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level than they are designed for resulting in crashes.

It simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

The second error is 0xF7: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

Cause
A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary address when the function returned.

This is the classic "buffer overrun" hacking attack. The system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user from gaining complete control of it. But there are other causes as well.

Only a Windows OS driver was cited and they are too general to be of much use for diagnostic purposes.

However, in researching it appears that either display/video drivers or audio drivers can be a main culprit.

Ohhh, alright thanks, I'll try changing the display/audio drivers.

Also I was having a bunch of bsods yesterday like every 10minutes, I underclocked my cpu back to 3.8ghz and my ram to 1200mhz and they stopped, but I don't want to believe it's because of my cpu :/ and also I still had bsods when I had 1200mhz ram and 4ghz cpu, but I will try replacing the audio and display drivers.

It may not be specifically your RAM or cpu but the fact that they are overclocked, etc. People have issues such as yours with overclocking. What happens when they are run at default settings? Is 3.8 and 1200 the default?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back