Content IE5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be aimed at windows 95
however its true about hidden files, but they are not as inaccessable as that.
there are many utilities that clear Content IE5 securely. if you are that concerned about security then use evidence eliminator.

Some of these hidden files are ligit and should not be deleted because they are required to keep windows functional, and anyway if you delete them windows recreates them anyway.

you only need to worry more about hackers, malware and spyware that compromise your privacy, a good firewall like Zone Alarm and good antispyware like adwareAlert will protect your privacy.

*sigh*

Enter the following link into your browser...

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

...there - that's not so secret is it? It's nothing more than the sorted stor for temporary internet files. Merely close all browser windows, and delete your temporary internet files, and content.ie5 will be empty.

"super hidden" files are more of an issue than content.ie5, and there's even a reason for those.

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

That was weird, but than again, I'm no computer pro.

Now, just another ***** question.

How do you delete the internet files with all the browsers closed.
I only have MSIE open. So how do I get to TOOLS, OPTIONS?

Ok again appologize for my idiocy.

I usually go into Explorer and open Temp and delete them manually there.

My main concern is that my system has slowed considerably.

I have high speed and I can usually browse at the speed of sound.

Lately things have been sluggish. I've run Defrag. But that doesn't seem to do much.

I've run spyware/anti virus, but still slow.

Either manually delete all files in...

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

... or open a browser and type "about:blank" into the address bar and press go (opens a blank window) so that none of the temporary internet files are in use.

You could also empty your Temp files, if you like the manual method you do it as Spike instructed but put this in your browser instead
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp

but you will probaly get errors saying that deletion failed because of files in use and then you will have to skip some of the files you select.

you could also use disk cleanup which will empty it with no errors and also give you a few more options as well.

Be carefull with C Cleaner, I believe i had issue with the registry clean component, but i know it was about to remove something it should not have been removing. so check entries before you execute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back