"Converting" non computer speakers...

By Arc ยท 7 replies
Jun 18, 2007
  1. My father recently gave me a pair of Pioneer CS B9000s and KLH Model 802s. (The models and such don't really matter I don't think. It just makes me feel special saying it.)

    Since they would pretty much be gathering dust otherwise, I want to put them to use. How would I go around to hooking them up to my pc? Both pairs will be great, but I don't mind settling for only one pair.

    Besides, my current pair of speakers sound flat and boring. I'd like to annoy my neighbors with some Devin Townsend at 2 a.m. :)
  2. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    There is nothing to "convert", a speaker is a speaker is a speaker.

    You need some sort of an amplifying unit to drive the speakers of course. After that you just run a suitable cable from your computer to the amp. ("Suitable" as in it depends on the output your soundcard can do and the input(s)/output(s) your amp unit has.)
  3. Tedster

    Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,002   +15

    what you need to watch out for is to ensure the ohms on your speakers do not exceed standard computer speakers otherwise you risk burning out the amp circuits on your card or motherboard.

    It would be far better to use a sound card with a pre-amp out to a regular stereo amp and plug the speakers into the stereo.
  4. Arc

    Arc TS Rookie Topic Starter

    That's what I was thinking too, but it seems everyone else I've asked liked to throw that word around.

    I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. I have the equipment here. It's just a matter of cleaning it off, finding cables and saying a little prayer that everything works out.

    Thanks guys, I figured that's what I had to do. All this speak of "converters" at Radioshack and such left me highly confused, and the guy kept saying "you can't hook your stereo amp in, just by this this and this."
  5. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,742   +421

    The most common thing to do is get a 3.5mm (headphone jack) to RCA wire. Then run that to your stereo/amp or 3.5mm to bare wire if your amp takes that.
  6. Billy213

    Billy213 TS Rookie Posts: 38

    Thats what i have an it works fine for me. Just the red and white ports on the back runs directly into your computer. Then i just have to switch my stereo to AUX and my computer plays through it.


    it's not hard to do either and my sound quality is still perdy good
  7. halo71

    halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

    Its still would be better as Tedster said to get a sound card with a pre-amp output. The sound will be much better. This is how I have mine hooked up with my home stereo to listen to internet radio etc.
  8. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    How does a "pre-amp output" differ from the normal line-out?

    If you mean professional versus consumer line levels, then the desired soundcard output would depend on the kind of amplifier you have, would it not?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...