Copy command in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic

Here is the situation.
Some time ago my Harddrive crashed lucky for me (at the time) I saved some files on to another harddrive.
Later when I fixed my computer and put together another computer with XP. without much thought I decided to burn all my files from the HD onto a few CD-R's. I put in the HD into the box set as a slave, turn the computer on and walk away. When I come back I realized what had just happened.
I put the HD (that came from a 98 box) into the XP box and it formated the HD. I lost everything, pictures, programs, important documents, etc....
The most important thing was the family pictures. Although at the time that wasnt that big of a deal. I use to have a website, for family. A few weeks before all this happened I backed up the website onto a cd-r.

Here is the problem. Last night I decided I wanted to see some of these pictures. I put the disk in the computer and it wont read. I put it in other computers, laptops and the same.
I thought maybe I can copy the files while in DOS, I just need to copy them onto the HD.
While doing this I get "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E", no big deal I just hit retry and it copies a few more and again the same message. sometimes it copies the whole folder.

My problem is, is there a way I can copy a folder and get everything in there copied too. When I copy a folder I only get whats in the ffolder minus Sub directories.
Is there a command that can allow me to do that?
All I'm using is a:copy E:\"file name" *.* c:\"file name" or e:\"file name">copy *.* c:\"file name"
Then I go into subdirectories and do the same.

Any way to make this faster?

You need to use the xcopy command or some proper file manager like Volkov Commander in DOS.

I can also recommend an excellent program called ISOBuster that recovers data from bust CDs.

Thanks I'll give that a try. I think Xcopy should do the trick. I dont think I'll go as far as buying a progra though, I havnt looked up the program you mentioned.

The problem with the disk, I think, is that it is a color cd-r.

Not all software is what you pay for. Actually the best software out there is free :p

The non-pro ISOBuster will do what is needed for you and you can get Volkov for free too.

I agree some of the best software can be free.

I was looking into Volkov and it seems like I could use it.
Thanks for the help

So far nothing has worked, I tried xcopy and I get a weird message
It says L%ser kildefil(er)...
any one have an idea what that means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back