Cores not synchronized?

Mister_K

So iv recently OCed by increasing the multiplayer. Right now I am sitting at 3.8Ghz stable but I have one problem. Games such as minecraft and counter strike play way too fast, everything is flash and the game simply runs out of sync...

When i set the affinity to 0 everything is fine and same goes when i set it to only 1. I am guessing that this is something with the OC (obvs it is, when not OCing its all good) and it must be something with cores not running at the same time or something along those lines.

Anyone has a fix for this? Without having to undo the OC and run on the stock speeds .....

Thanks in advance :)

Wish I could help but I've never experienced any problems with games running too fast. I've played Counter Strike on many overclocked machines over the years and have never encountered this problem. Not done it on the current generation of AMD processors though so with any luck someone running them can give some help.

Aight cheers.

It same with Minecraft, when i get into game its like I am speed hacking. In Counter Strike only the chat flashes really fast but thats about it...really annoying.

Right now had to downclock to 3.2Ghz ...

Not sure why the chat in CS would flicker, unless you have no Vsync and the overclocking of the processor is actually causing the source engine to output a considerably higher number of frames per second, but would think that would be visible for the whole screen (tearing/flashing).

What you said about Minecraft would suggest to me that the speed of execution might scale to the default retail speed of processors as in Computer Properties information screen, but not take any actual OC speed into consideration. This is just my own speculation though as I've never played the game or looked into any Minecraft related problems with it before.

Not sure why the chat in CS would flicker, unless you have no Vsync and the overclocking of the processor is actually causing the source engine to output a considerably higher number of frames per second, but would think that would be visible for the whole screen (tearing/flashing).

What you said about Minecraft would suggest to me that the speed of execution might scale to the default retail speed of processors as in Computer Properties information screen, but not take any actual OC speed into consideration. This is just my own speculation though as I've never played the game or looked into any Minecraft related problems with it before.

When I change my affinity to either core 0 or core 1 only its all good... but thats really a temp fix ...

I don't have to OC ofc but i rather figure what is the problem and how to solve it :(

I've had a similar issue with Flash; and I had this issue with CS once. Sadly I can't remember what caused it. I know in CS I simply limited my FPS (in source it's fps_max xxx).

Make sure your system is fully up to date. BIOS, chipset, etc...

imo, this is a symptom of a program that was not written for mulitprocessing.
Setting Affinity is a sure way to make that program run as if there were no extra cores.
Now don't yell at me, it's clear that multi-core would SEEM to be better, but look at the results - - pick A or B but not A and B.

But Minecraft is very, very common and I didn't see any after a quick search, and I myself run on an overclocked x6 with no issues...

But you're right. If it weren't for Minecraft I'd assume that's the case.

This is with other games too. OCed it all runs fast and out of sync kind of thing... like CS chat blinks really fast etc.... Minecraft looks like i am speedhacking and so forth.... When not OCed or setting Affinity to Core 0 or 1 its all good .... But screen tearing/freezing occurs ... Which only lasts fraction of a second but its annoying...

Trying to figure a solution =/ ....

Update:

Looks like I possibly fixed it. I overclocked by increasing FSB to 230Mhz which gave me 3.680Ghz OC @ 1.4Vcore (can't set Vcore lower, mobo sucks hard!). My multiplier is set to Auto. Also on my HT Link Iv put 2000.0Mhz from Auto (auto is basiclly 2000 anyway).

So done that and problem is gone, although I think OCing through increasing the multiplier would be better.

15% OC from Original FSB (200 orig. 230 atm with HT 2300). On Everest the FSB and HT are hovering between 2.200 to 2.300 but mostly above 2.250.

Temps:

30C with Firefox opened up on both cores, so i guess 40-50 on load and on really heavy 100% load probs touching 60C.

Will be trying to go for 4Ghz again if stable. As long as I am below 40C on idle (35 idle is decent imho)....

___

Off Topic

Whats the BEST CPU liquid cooler? Think of getting one. Something similar to H50, so no big hassle.

Price isn't big deal but if its under £150 its all good.

_____

35638429.jpg

Glad to hear you fixed the issue. So you froze the HT link to its base setting and the issue went away?

As for water cooling, I have the H50 in my computer on an i7 2600K. Got up to 4.6Ghz with only a small voltage increase. Is generally on par with the performance of high quality air coolers but quieter in my experience. If looking for a high overclock I'd invest a little more and either go up the Corsair range or separate parts (but a lot more hassle).

What do you think of H100 or H80? Will be saving up for Ivy Bridge build with 2x GTX460's 1GB since I already own one.

Update: Looks like I possibly fixed it. I overclocked by increasing...
WoW. IMO, that's like saying you catch more fish by petting your dog.
Multiple core sync should never be related to processor, memory or bus clocking.

Oh well, hey, if it works - - it works :confused:

Back