Corning Gorilla Glass 6 offers improved durability for next-gen mobile devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: If you have a smartphone, odds are, it utilizes some form of Corning Gorilla Glass. The cover glass has found its way to over six billion devices from more than 45 major brands since shipping on the first iPhone in 2007.

Corning on Wednesday introduced its newest breakthrough in glass technology, Corning Gorilla Glass 6. Described as Corning’s most durable cover glass to date, it was designed specifically to protect against multiple drops.

Corning says that in lab tests, on average, Gorilla Glass 6 survived 15 drops from one meter onto rough surfaces which is “up to two times better than Gorilla Glass 5.” Under the same test conditions, competing glass compositions such as soda lime and aluminosilicate did not survive the first drop.

John Bayne, vice president and general manager of Corning Gorilla Glass, said that as consumers become more dependent on their smartphones, the opportunity for potentially damaging drops is also on the rise. Now more than ever, he said, it’s critical that cover glass provides outstanding protection.

According to a recent study from Toluna, people drop their phones an average of seven times a year with more than 50 percent of those drops occurring at a height of one meter or less.

Corning has been developing cover glass for smartphones for over a decade, dating back to the original iPhone in 2007. Last year, Apple invested $200 million into Corning’s research and development branch.

Corning said multiple manufacturing partners are evaluating its new cover glass and estimates that products featuring Gorilla Glass 6 will hit the market in the next several months.

Permalink to story.

What a bunch of bullsh*t. I see people walking around with their expensive phones with broken screens all the time. They buy $500-900 phone for a 2 year contract, and when they drop it 4 weeks into it, they decide they cannot spend half of the phones price on screen replacement. Simple solution: just stop manufacturing 2.5D panels, edge or whatever You call them. When it sticks out over the frame it will break at first drop, be it 20 or 200 centimeters. When did 21st century Apple/Samsung engineers replaced their brains with chickens?

What about scratches? While cracking/shattering is probably most important, a complaint that shows up in current phone forums (with Gorilla Glass 5) is that a compromise to reducing shattering/cracking is sensitivity to scratches. I still put a screen protector on my phone for this reason...and because the oleophobic coating on original screen will wear off. It's easier to replace a quality screen protector than screen.

They keep saying it gets tougher... but phone screens still break as usual... no matter the height....

Glass is breakable... or scratchable...

Until they come up with a totally new element to make up for the screen, the glass will keep breaking.

This is crap and people like Samsung with their beveled display, make it worse. I refuse to buy a phone that isn't flat. I've dropped my Note 5 about a hundred times and the only reason it has not broken yet is due to the screen protector and silicone cover. If it was the beveled phone, it would have broken many times over.

Last edited:
Have you people forgotten it’s GLASS?!? Fill in this common expression: “Fragile as a....”

The fact that they’ve gotten it this strong is pretty awesome - stop slamming what you clearly don’t comprehend.
Stop telling people what they understand. It's glass....it's gorilla glass so live up to it's name or don't tell me 1 meter is anything to grab my crotch about

Stop telling people what they understand. It's glass....it's gorilla glass so live up to it's name or don't tell me 1 meter is anything to grab my crotch about
Clearly you DON'T understand.... So let me repeat it for you... THIS IS GLASS!!! Yes, it's fragile... But it's also clear and has fantastic properties to act as a smartphone cover - that's kind of why pretty much every piece of technology uses it....

As the years go by, it continues to get stronger.... perhaps one day it will be unscratchable and unbreakable... but that's like saying "I want a computer that can play the latest AAA games in 4k @ 120FPS and I want it to be smaller than my watch.... Yes, it might happen one day - but it's not happening now, so stop whining!!

What a bunch of bullsh*t. I see people walking around with their expensive phones with broken screens all the time. They buy $500-900 phone for a 2 year contract, and when they drop it 4 weeks into it, they decide they cannot spend half of the phones price on screen replacement. Simple solution: just stop manufacturing 2.5D panels, edge or whatever You call them. When it sticks out over the frame it will break at first drop, be it 20 or 200 centimeters. When did 21st century Apple/Samsung engineers replaced their brains with chickens?

When the accountants realised they could sell new phones if the old ones broke easily.

Clearly you DON'T understand.... So let me repeat it for you... THIS IS GLASS!!! Yes, it's fragile... But it's also clear and has fantastic properties to act as a smartphone cover - that's kind of why pretty much every piece of technology uses it....

As the years go by, it continues to get stronger.... perhaps one day it will be unscratchable and unbreakable... but that's like saying "I want a computer that can play the latest AAA games in 4k @ 120FPS and I want it to be smaller than my watch.... Yes, it might happen one day - but it's not happening now, so stop whining!!
Clearly....ha ha ha ha

Back