Corning Gorilla Glass now found in over 1 billion devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I can vividly remember purchasing my first real smartphone several years ago. The idea that I was now carrying around a premium (and very expensive) piece of hardware was initially tough to deal with. Quite frankly, I babied the phone for several months and kept it locked inside a heavy-duty plastic and rubber case.

Like an overprotective parent, I gradually loosened my grip on the handset and let it live a free life. Over time, I realized the phone was actually much tougher than I gave it credit for. As it turned out, a large part of that toughness was credited to the glass I thought made the phone a liability.

This fragile glass was none other than Corning’s Gorilla Glass, practically a household name among mobile enthusiasts these days. Gorilla Glass is now used in over one billion consumer devices spanning 33 major brands and 500 different models.

It started out innocently enough with smartphones adopting the tough-as-nails glass but as tablets burst onto the scene a few years ago, Corning was right along for the ride. Now we’re even seeing notebooks and televisions equipped with the hardened glass.

All of this data comes from Corning’s third quarter results released yesterday. It was revealed that the company had earned $2.04 billion in revenue during Q3 – a seven percent increase sequentially but a two percent decrease year-to-year. Corning reported net income of $521 million, an increase of $59 million over last quarter but a full 36 percent less than the $811 million earned during the same time last year.

Permalink to story.

Thanks to Steve Jobs, without him we won't have Gorilla glass on our devices .. :)

Could we say Corning Gorilla Glass has monopolized the market?
Actually, I do not think we can. Monopolistic practices involve far more than your product selling well. Tactics such as strong-arming your customers, buying out and closing competing companies, selling your product at a price so far below the competition that there is no competition, etc. As I understand it, there are no such accusations about Corning.

To me, it sounds like they have a superior product and it is being used in consumer products and probably elsewhere (military, aerospace, etc.) because it is a superior product.

I never cased my HTC Tilts but they fell apart just because they're crap. Then I saw the iPhone laid on the AT&T counter for me to take home and I said, "Uhhh, I think I need a case, that looks really delicate". So for a year I carried around this huge otterbox. Then the 4S came out and I had learned about gorilla glass so I used it for a year caseless, naked, sexy, more enjoyable overall. Now I have the iphone 5 and although less sexy than the 4's, it's still best without the rubbers.

Gorilla glass yet my screen still cracks when dropped from a waist high (92cm). Not hating or anything.

Gorilla glass will still crack if dropped... have you seen what phones without gorilla glass do if dropped from an equivalent height?

wiyosaya, doesnt a higher, superior product mean that it could potentially monopolize the market? I'm not aware of any other product like gorilla glass, but I may just not be educated on it.

Might get a piece of this stuff for my U3011, Corning isn't far away from me. Gorilla glass is on my Droid 4 and it works really good, incredibly tough, easy to clean and very clear.

Gorilla glass will still crack if dropped... have you seen what phones without gorilla glass do if dropped from an equivalent height?

wiyosaya, doesnt a higher, superior product mean that it could potentially monopolize the market? I'm not aware of any other product like gorilla glass, but I may just not be educated on it.
For me, "monopolize" implies that some sort of abuse must be taking place. If you want to consider that the product is so superior that it outsells all other products on the market then technically it meets the definition of a monopolistic product.

To me, though, the company making the product would have to be deliberately trying to manipulate the market for it to be a monopoly in the derogatory sense of the word. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monopoly

I'm not sure what's on the iPhone4S (apparently it's been confirmed by Apple insiders to be Gorilla), but it scratches way too damn easy.

Confirmed Gorilla users GalaxyS2 and Moto Xoom haven't got a single mark on it.

For me, "monopolize" implies that some sort of abuse must be taking place. If you want to consider that the product is so superior that it outsells all other products on the market then technically it meets the definition of a monopolistic product.

To me, though, the company making the product would have to be deliberately trying to manipulate the market for it to be a monopoly in the derogatory sense of the word. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monopoly

Monopoly on a stand alone product doesn't seem likely. I can understand your stance but its not like gorilla glass is crazy expensive. It will eventually be replaced when they find something better. In the meantime, lets just be happy our screens are better protected overall. I have a crack in my screen on my Droid Pro, but only after dropping it viciously on tile and literally maybe 30 times before that on concrete from car height and waist height. I even dropped it down the stairs in my house and it hit tile and didn't break. Good stuff

Actually, I do not think we can. Monopolistic practices involve far more than your product selling well. Tactics such as strong-arming your customers, buying out and closing competing companies, selling your product at a price so far below the competition that there is no competition, etc. As I understand it, there are no such accusations about Corning.

To me, it sounds like they have a superior product and it is being used in consumer products and probably elsewhere (military, aerospace, etc.) because it is a superior product.

That is brilliant : ) !!!! I love Gorilla Glass !! Thanks for the info. I took Economics in high school but forgot all about it haha.

Back