Corrupt photo files

I've downloaded photos from my camera's memory card onto my computer, the whole photo comes up at first in the thumbnail and then part of the photo gets blanked out with a grey block or the photo becomes distorted. I've tried it on another computer and it does the same. Can anyone help me recover them?

Hi, If you are seeing a part of your photo, say just the top 10% but the rest is grey, then it means that the grey part has been saved over by another jpeg file, so that means it must have been deleted at some time earlier.
The thumbnail version you see is a different version, but is only a few hundred bytes of data . To cut a long story down, the jpegs are are gone.
A good program to recover jpegs from memory cards etc, is Piriform's 'Recuva' , but it can't get back data that's been saved over, only jpeg files that have been marked 'delete' BUT have not yet been written over by another jpeg file.

It does show a percentage with the rest grey when l try to upload it to PCs (l've tried 3 different PCs!) but l can actually see the photo's when l plug my camera into the TV. Does that mean the jpegs are still there? Is it worth trying 'Recuva'?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi, First thing I would say is, don't take any more photo's on that card (yet) to prevent any more damage.
When you see a thumbnail image, it isn't being shown from the photo data, it's coming from a separate block of info in the header, so in a worst case it may be all there is. (maybe),
The free program 'Recuva' is the best of the data recovery programs that I know of, I have got back deleted video with it, so it does work.
If you try 'Recuva' you won't do any harm, just be sure you save (recover) your found jpgs to a different place from the card, the 'C' drive is fine for that.
If you are seeing photo's on a TV connected by lead form camera, is it possible they are not on the SD card, but are saved on the camera's internal memory? So if you take the SD card out can you still see those photo's on the camera screen?
As a backup do make a copy of the DCIM folder somewhere, so if better ideas turn up (or better software) you can work on it in the future.

Back