Counter-Strike 1.6 alt+tab crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

noiz

(note: problem fixed, check bottom of post)
>>The problem reoccured on my pc for unknown reasons.
First of all I'd like to explain my problem in detail so that people with the same problem can have an easier time finding it on google;

After installing a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 (formatted the drive before that of course), I've started playing Counter-Strike again.
It was not long after that I've pressed Alt+Tab to open Winamp, when the blue screen of death suddenly appeared, followed by a restart.
I later realised that minimizing the application by any other means has the same effect.

And now the fact sheet to minimize the number of possible reasons:

- Completely new hardware configuration, with 1gb of ddr2 ram, geforce 7900gs with 256 mb gddr3
- This is an isolated incident, occuring only with Counter-Strike 1.6 (Valve's Steam client, regularly updated)
- I have the latest drivers installed, the pc is virus-clean and under active firewall/antivirus protection
- I've got a total of 100GB free, distributed across 3 drives, having the one with Windows on it 52gb free
------------------------------

Thanks a lot in advance,
noiz

EDIT: PROBLEM FIXED.
How? I've downloaded Uniblue's Registry Booster 2, ran a full scan, cleaned up the registry, problem fixed.
However, I'd like this topic to remain here so that other people might benefit from it. My apologies for not reading the pinned topic that contained the link to Registry Booster.

have you tried reinstalling counter strike?

also how big is the master hard drive, even if it does have 52gb free, if it's a 500gb hard drive that's not a lot, when looking at free space you want to look at percentages of the drive that is free because this can cause poor performance

I'm sorry for taking your time, please check my post, I've edited it, the problem has been fixed.

Welcome to TechSpot noiz!

Great detail in your first post! Thanks for letting us know that you were able to solve your issue with Alt+Tab. I hope you hang around and enjoy the community.

Oh I most certainly will stay on the forum, it's unlike any forum I've been to so far, it's full of wise and experienced people willing to help, and I will do my best to contribute. Thanks for the welcome :D

Sorry to reopen the topic, but the same problem has reoccured. Read first post for detailed explanation, or read the summary here:

Alt+tab/winkey+d/all means of minimizing to desktop causes blue screen of death with "DRIVER IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUALL".
Problem fixed for a week or so with Registry Booster 2.
Problem reappeared for unkown reasons. Registry Booster no longer does the trick.
Here's the latest 5 minidump reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back