CP won't get to desktop screen or BIOS....HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new to this forum and desperate.
Running XP, recently installed Norton System works Basic edition, somehow had a virus (I assume) and now I can't even get to safe mode. The CP (Compaq) turns on, shows the Compaq screen, then the Windows XP screen then turns off and back on and does the same thing continuously. When it last worked, I was running a full system scan due to pop ups I was getting, it said the scan was done but was froze so I had to do a cold boot and this is the result. I can't locate my System Restore disk, but I tried any old disk and it didn't even see that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would say if you could get a windows XP boot floppy (Go to any other XP computer, and select to reformat a floppy, and check the option "MS-dos boot disc". Once you boot into the floppy, run CHKDSK on your c:\ drive.

Pc won't boot up to desktop

Thank you so much, but I just have one question! Do you think that will work even if I can't get past what it's doing?

Can you boot to Safe Mode? You should get a startup menu when you tap F8 at the Compaq logo screen.

In Safe Mode, please undo whatever silliness you did to break your computer. Uninstall Norton for starters :p
In case the virus scanner managed to delete some critical system files, you should be able to do a repair install of Windows to fix that.

Just in case, you could test your RAM and the hard drive with special utilities.

No, well I can get to safe mode but whenever I select anything there, it does the same sequence over again (see first post).

Today, after a week or so of not being connected I turned the cp on and I am getting the dreadful blue screen that says"Stop: C000021a Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000"
This nightmare is going from bad to worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back