CPU - Computer automatically shuts down (desktop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ-real

Hi,

I have an Intel Core 2 CPU 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM desktop, and recently I just took the CPU fan out to clean it out (and checked the CPU paste while i was at it).

When I turn my computer on, it turns it's self off, automatically, after about 1-5 minutes.

The fan works, and it's not heating up like mad.

Thanks,
CJ

The heatsink is supposed to be heating up, because that would mean that it is effectively diffusing the heat from the CPU. If it doesn't, that means the CPU cooler is not fastened correctly. Re-seat your CPU cooler and make sure you fasten the pins correctly (I assume you're using the Intel stock fan, with the tricky mounting system).

I actually meant the CPU being hot - sorry.

I will try to re-set the pins. I actually need a new fan, but the stock fan fits with the funnel on the case, so others are expensive.

Thanks for your assistance, I will reply back soon.

I refastened them - but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. Does any know of a video tutorial?

You need to clean off all the old thermal paste/pad from the heatsink and cpu die. Then apply some new thermal paste to the cpu die only and reattach the heatsink.

See HERE for instructions.

Hopefully, that`ll solve your problem.

Regards Howard :)

Because I suspect the thermal paste/pad isn`t applied properly and the cpu is overheating and shutting down as a result.

Regards Howard :)

Yes it can happen within one minute of booting. Thermal paste is designed to use once. Once you take the heatsink off, the thermal past needs to be cleaned off and replaced because reapplying the heatsink without new paste introduces air bubbles into the paste. Air is not as good a conductor of heat as the thermal paste.

The only thing you stated you did to the computer was clean the fan and remove/replace the heatsink, why would you figure that something else was wrong? Did you forget to plug in the fan maybe?

No, it works fine with the case on, but if there's 7 fans in my computer, the case has to be open to see if the CPU fan is running ;)

Regards,
CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back