CPU Fan error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new to the boards but this looks like a good place to get some techy advice.......basically the problem is, a few days ago the power cable into the PSU got jolted a little bit (my bad), and kind of fried the motherboard, it restarted itself a few times, i could hear the hard drive clunking etc, and so i yanked it out.........waited a sec, plugged it back in and it appeared to be booting correctly, but then it would keep restarting itself at the point of 'verifying dmi pool data'........i looked up why this might be, turns out dmi is some kind of bios manager and that by jolting the power i might have corrupted the CMOS, so i looked up the settings to clear CMOS, changed the jumpers around and then back again, powered it up...........

and then as soon as it powers up, it starts beeping like crazy and i get error message 'CPU fan not working properly!'.........so i took the case off, powered it up again, and the CPU fan is spinning fine, so what is my pc talking about? Has clearing the CMOS somehow altered some settings in the BIOS so it can't detect the fan properly? please help it's very annoying.........

on another note, the reason i started fiddling around with my pc was because i was trying to watch a movie on the telly through the tv-out on the graphics card, but the TV only supports a max res of 1024x768, and my monitor was set to 1280x1024, so i tried to change the res, and it rebooted itself, thought it was a one-off so i tried again and it kept doing it systematically........anyone have any ideas why this might be?

cheers guys

If you have an aftermarket HSF on your CPU that soins slower than the threshold set in BIOS you'll get a warning. As an example, I installed a Zalman 7700cu HSKF which has a 120mm fan that only spins at around 1100 RPM. Default in BIOS is 1200RPM so I get the warning till I set BIOS CPU Fan Warning to 800 RPM.

thanks for the advice merc, i'll check when i get home but i don't think it's that as my BIOS has never had a problem with the CPU fan before I cleared the CMOS, it runs about 3000rpm which should be above any threshold........

That's not the problem then. The only other thing is make sure the 3 pin CPU fan connector is secure and if it is you'll have to assume that the power arc may have damaged your mobo in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back