CPU overheat and pc restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I've been having some trouble with my PC overheating when playing games, or doing other intensive stuff.
Upon checking my CPU temp after such a restart it will be high, like 80s or even 90s. Although, to my knowledge the CPU fan is working fine (currently running at 3013 RPM accoridng to everest).

Also, I've had my PC restart when doing menial tasks and without my CPU temp being high.
So I don't know whether the two problems are definitely linked.

My specs are:
Windows XP pro
AMD athalon 64 3500+
1024 ram
geforce 6600

Cheers.

Centigrade !!!
I would upgrade my CPU fan and cooling system. Also add a Case fan.
Actually, for what you are doing at those temperatures, I would consider a liquid cooled system.

Yeah, those temps are just after it restarts, basically the worst it gets.
Most of the time my CPU temp is fine at around 46 celsius.

Some think those temperatures above 62 degrees C are ok. We find a long history of early failures. Best to find ways to cool it down. Even a case fan is worth 6 degrees... Better cpu fans often help. We like Zalman.

You didn't provide much info on what solutions you have tried so far.

Did you clean the dust out of the cpu heatsink AND the gpu heatsink?

Clean the fans off too?

Blow out the case?

Make sure your cpu heatsink is well attached?

etc

Sorry, yeah everything is cleaned out and connected down. It hasn't really been that long since I built it so it wouldn't be that dirty.

I built it, shortly after moved it to another case. After putting it together in the new case it was fine for a while before it started to restart.

If you havnt done so yet you could put some artic silver thermal grease on. That should bring the temp down a little bit.

I've just tried running with seperate RAM and graphics card, and still got the same restarts.
So I'm putting it down to cooling. All fans seem to be running ok though, and it doesn't explain the restarts when my CPU is at normal temps...

The problem is likely elsewhere in your hardware, BIOS, drivers, infestation, or OS errors.
The problem is not normal, but these are always time consuming and expensive to troubleshoot.

I've tried some more things.
Now I've replaced the power supply, the CPU fan, RAM and gfx card, and none have stopped the issue of my cpu overheating.

So, barring all those possibilities, is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Go get a cheap aftermarket CPU cooling to see if thats the problem. The Zalman 7700 is what I would recommend for this kind of thing.

You mentioned your temps, and we're assuming it in Celcius. 80-90 is high, especially if its after restarting the comp. You should measure your temps at its highest, so if you went to the second link on my signature, there's some steps on getting the max temps, follow it and post here.

It may be defective, or it may not be overheating at all. There was recently an article in MaximumPC and another in TomsHardware suggesting that cpu temperature detections is mightily flawed...
I forget. Does your computer shut down because of the overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back