CPU Requirements for Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palex

I'm using XP/SP3 and Hercules Deluxe Glass Webcam on Skype. Picture on receiving end is very pixelated/grainy, almost unusable. Reasons presumably include innate webcam quality and variabilities of Skype transmission. Skype also says that CPU must be at least 2.5 Ghz (mine is 1.8 Ghz). Does that make sense? I'm surprised there would be such degradation at 1.8....don't other folks run webcams at less than 2.5? I'm hesitant to buy a better webcam if that 2.5 is real.

That required 2.5Ghz is a nominal number. a P4 running at 1.8Ghz is inferior to a newer CPU running at 1.8Ghz. what processor are you using?

not sure what options you have for your MB, but that is a rather old and slow CPU by today's standards. the short answer is yes a newer/faster cpu would help immensely. justto give you one example of what I mean...the athlon 1800 has 38 million transistors, current cpu's have about a billion.

PC about 8 yrs old. MoBo is MSI MS-6380E, ver 1.0

I really appreciate your input. When I researched webcams, the CPU issue was never mentioned (as I recall). The webcam manufacturers should point this out, since it's their webcam that gets blamed.

I guess you're telling me that a better webcam won't help much.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back