Cpu running at 100% most of the time,problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

If the cpu meter semms to run at a high% is that a problem? No games running just email, IM, basic stuff. Thank you Kirk

Check for viruses and that kind of crapware. Probably you have the damn sasser worm.

Download (if you don't have it), AVG Antivirus Free edition, and let it scan the system.

Regards :wave:

If you have spware/crapware it will sometimes max out your processor.

Not to alarm you, but try a scan of ad-aware SE, xblock freeware etc... I usually do a couple different to find all the junk if it's badly "infected". Be aware that if you remove some spyware it will break the free software you might have that require it. Sometimes free isn't worth the hastle!

Lastly - trojans can also max out your pc - Mischel security's Trojan Hunter will run for free (30 day trial - iirc) and worth knowing about if you don't find anything else.

good luck!

sl33py

One is an older p3 935 hp basic and the other is a _____ emachine atholn xp Neither runs slow I just noticed the mostly high%cpu

the main questions is this.
What process is it that is getting the most attention in the Task manager?
Is it constant or irregular?

If its System Idle Process, its normal. It just means that your PC is idleing/not doing anything.

If its another process then post its name here or have a look in your PC on where its originating from.

i would press ctrl alt delt and see what program is making it hit that high all the time and stop it or uninstall it...and that will make your pc lag so much.

RUDEBWOY said:
i would press ctrl alt delt and see what program is making it hit that high all the time and stop it or uninstall it...and that will make your pc lag so much.
stopping any random process or program without looking where its coming from or what it does can cause your pc to shut down or crash..... just a warning.

did say to shut down any random process check what process it is...if its something that you dont reconize google it...or if its a program u install uninstall if..if its a windows app youll have to try to resolve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back